Swift Transportation - What The Recruiter Didn't Tell You

Discussion in 'Swift' started by madmoneymike5, Mar 11, 2012.

Was this article helpful to you?

1. *

Yes, exceptionally so!

186 vote(s)
    73.8%
  2. *

Yes, it was helpful.

50 vote(s)
    19.8%
  3. *

Neutral

10 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. *

No it was not helpful.

9 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    Like I said, I am quite content to do my 2800 miles per week. There are plenty of weeks that I am over that, then run out of hours, then have to set for 34 at a truck stop or hotel. I would rather be going down the road doing my 400 miles, then setting at the truck stop for 34. The more miles that I run, the more that I make, the more that I pay.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MicaBay

MicaBay Medium Load Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Idaho, North
    I wish I could average 400 miles a day each and every week...

4. LiLtrucker

LiLtrucker Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Middle TN
    I'm new at driving and figuring the to make the most of my hours. Any suggestions on how to make the most miles in a week?? Is it better to run and do a 34 or stretch it?

5. handymn

handymn Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2011
    phoenix Arizona
    This is just me.. I try and run hard and do a 34 when needed because I only been driving about 3 months. I like to start my day as early as possible and get off the road and still find a place that's easy to park at. I know most drivers say run out your hours but I take in and factor in my DEL/PU time and adjust my patten accordingly. For me I find having a fresh 70 goes a lot farther then having 6 or 8 hours rolling over the next day. I'm still on paper logs and getting more experience so someday I hope to manage my down time better..

LiLtrucker Thanks this.
  6. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Don't worry about it. Just try to keep moving. The killer is sitting between loads. You want get rid of one load and then be moving right to your next.

As long as you got hours you want to be driving. I've run my self down to just 2 hours of the 7th day, leaving only 2 hrs for the the 8th day. That's the only time I've taken 34 volunteerly.

Mostly run off my recap, I'm starting my 4th week on recap.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  7. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    One fallacy is the Volvos. I see them rolling West from the factory with Swift colors.

8. noexmarines

noexmarines Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2012
    montclair, ca
    I'm a recent graduate from a private trucking school in Southern California and I'm in the prehire stage scheduled to go to an orientation for Swift. I earned my CDL about a month ago, and i'm afraid I will be a little rusty. Should i expect to take a road test during the orientation? If so, what would happen if i were to fail the road test? Will they kick me to the curb or will they work with me?

9. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Fail the road test and you are out, plain and simple.
    Even more simple, is the road test.

Shift as smoothly as you can, and downshift as you slow. Don't run over a curb. That means reading the situation and turning as wide as needed, but not much more, and waiting for oncoming traffic to go by before making your move.
    Turn 4 rights back in to the terminal.
    Back in to a fairly tight spot.
    Don't forget to set up correctly and GOAL as often as needed, and honk your horn. Take your time, and GOAL when you think you need to. It is not like the DMV test where you are limited as to the number of times. Here they want to see that you are safe and accurate, but not so much the time it takes or how often you get out and look at your situation.

It would probably be better to go around and start over again, if you find that your first setup was too messed up, than try to fix an unfixable back.
    Which brings up 2 points.

The first is the most important.
    Don't be ####y, and try to fix what can't be.
    Simply pull out and try again later. (Trust me, you'll run into this situation more than once - no matter your experience. Sometimes you may even decide to go to the next safe haven, because it is safer.)

The second is like the first.
    Never be too proud to admit it.
    I wonder which the instructor would rather see - the student that says "I can make this, let me try to...", or the student that says "I can't do this. Can I go around and try again?"

The hardest part is the back, and that is where they might be willing to work with you.
    That would mean a LCQC - a Local Close Quarters Class.
    Basically, a class that has you running around in town in close quarters, and some backing training.
    I have had 2 of these, and they have helped a lot.

That is the drill I went through at Fontana, around 12/10.
    And the LCQC instructor was very good there. Laid back, friendly and helpfull. Just do as he says when he says it and how he says it, and you'll be fine. Just don't forget your own brain.

Cooper09 and Honch Thank this.
  10. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    You won't have to road test until you are done with your mentor.

noexmarines Thanks this.
  11. jds8710

jds8710 Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2012
    marina, ca
    I had to road test at lathrop before going out with mentor. Basically like moosetek said hookup trailer, 4 right turns. 2 down shifts no backing. Disconnect trailer. Make sure you double clutch

noexmarines Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.