Swift Transportation - What The Recruiter Didn't Tell You

Discussion in 'Swift' started by madmoneymike5, Mar 11, 2012.

Was this article helpful to you?

1. *

Yes, exceptionally so!

186 vote(s)
    73.8%
  2. *

Yes, it was helpful.

50 vote(s)
    19.8%
  3. *

Neutral

10 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. *

No it was not helpful.

9 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN

In Memphis we road tested before, and after training with your Mentor. The backing into a slot wasn't that important until you got back to test out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. madmoneymike5

madmoneymike5 Medium Load Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    ...At Decatur, you have to do a road test during orientation if you are an experienced driver and before going out with a mentor if a certain amount of time has passed since you graduated your school. Though, I cannot remember the time limit off-hand. Six weeks vaguely comes to mind, but I cannot be sure of it. If you came from Swift's school, you will not have to road test until after your 240-hours are complete.

At Decatur, the road tests are not hard. Depending on who is giving the test, you'll run a route around the terminal (though it may not be only right-hand-turns). Then, you'll attempt straight-line backing and a 45-degree dock back. If the instructor who normally does the test isn't there for some reason, they'll ask another mentor to do it. (I've done it...) The mentor will pick the route within basic guidelines given by driver services. Some mentors are harder than others...

noexmarines Thanks this.
  4. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    So it seems that if you went to a Swift school, like I did years ago, road test after time with mentor. If it was non Swift you go both before and after time with mentor.

5. Rug_Trucker

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    A friend of mine was a former senior mentor. He was a rehire. They made him road test, and close quarter back. I did the close quarter back right after he did. I kept my trailer tires in the wet trail he left when he did his backing. :biggrin_25522: I never did anything like that in my past life. I pulled tank, and flat. Never van. Hardly ever parked in a truck stop!

6. Round2

Round2 Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2012
    WA
    The TWO things that I would like to see added are:

How to select a DM if you don't feel good about your assigned one.

What all can be TAX DEDUCTABLE.

7. Rug_Trucker

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    Get a good tax man, or woman. Not Swift's job. They aren't tax preparers.

Need a good one that knows trucking? PM me I'll hook you up with mine.

8. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    You can always go to the Fleet Manager and express your concerns if you feel that something is just not right.

As far as TAX, find a good CPA, not ones like H & R Block, but one that knows trucking. Was talking to a driver one day, and he is always filing 1040EZ. He did not even know about writing off Per Diem, his cell or his internet, along with a whole lot more. Everything that you purchase for the truck, write off, linen, laundry when on the road, CB, t.v., XM or Sirius.

9. Rug_Trucker

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    My tax guy is a trucker. He got home yesterday to finish up his stragglers. Been doing mine since 2002.

10. Filmore

Filmore Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2012
    Wilmington, NC
    Thank you very much for the very Informative post.

I've applied to Swift in Millington and found your post to be one of the best sources of information of how Swift works.

Keep your wheels turning, hope to see you on the road.

11. madmoneymike5

madmoneymike5 Medium Load Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    It would appear that the image I uploaded to TinyPic detailing the pay rates was deleted or moved. It was done so without anyone telling me or giving a reason why. If there is a Swift employee submitting requests to TinyPic or other image hosts requesting this image be removed, please contact me prior to doing so. I'd like the opportunity to discuss the issue with you. Thanks.

I've re-uploaded it to a different host. Perhaps this one will stick...

[​IMG]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.