SWR ISSUES HELP!!!

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by lilroud, May 21, 2015.

1. lilroud

lilroud Bobtail Member

May 21, 2015
    I put a cobra 29 in my rig, im using a firestik 5 foot antenna with a tunable tip. I cannot get the swr below 2! Even worth to note, my output on the watt meter on channle 40 is fine, but on channel 1 is half while both chans have the same swr. I got the exact readings on my cobra 29 as i did on a cheap midland cb i had laying around. Coaxial cable is brand new, and so is the antenna its self. I verified i have ground from the antenna mount with a multimeter. Could it still be a grounding issue? Im about to lose my mind!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bout Z

Bout Z Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2015
    so. ohio
    Where is the antenna mounted?
    Are you using an external swr meter, or the meter on the radio?

4. lilroud

lilroud Bobtail Member

May 21, 2015
    Im using an external swr/watt combo . Its mounted to the body with a wire ran from a verified grounding bolt. It may just be a body ground rather then a chassie ground though... but the bolt is painted green from the factory and is used as a grounding spot for lighting for the truck

5. Bout Z

Bout Z Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2015
    so. ohio
    Mounted to the body, where? Like the side of the cab?
    Try disconnecting the ground wire, see if that helps.

6. lilroud

lilroud Bobtail Member

May 21, 2015
    Yes to the cab. The amtenna requires a ground plane though. Do you think its a dirty ground and thats why i shpuld try taking off the ground strape?

7. Bout Z

Bout Z Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2015
    so. ohio
    Rf ground and dc ground are not the same thing. A piece of wire does not create a ground plane. If that wire is a certain length, it can become part of the antenna.
    An swr of 2 across the band isn't bad necessarilly, anything higher is usually when you start to notice a drop in performance. it has been my experience, that anything around 2, usually has to do with mounting location. 3 or higher, usually means insufficient ground.
    Disconnect the ground wire from the mount, if swr goes up, its a ground problem. If it goes down, you'll know the wire was acting as part of the antenna. If it stays at 2, then most likely is the location.

Also, be sure that while you are checking swr, that there are no power lines, buildings, etc within approximately 30-40ft. This can throw things out of whack as well.

8. lilroud

lilroud Bobtail Member

May 21, 2015
    I understand. It just threw me off cause the way the watt power meter was high on 40 and low on 1 with the same swr. Ima have some down time later and maybe try some thing meantioned and see how it goes

9. Bout Z

Bout Z Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2015
    so. ohio
    Difference in power could be due to mis-alignment. Not that uncommon for radio bought of the shelf at truckstops, or, if they have been peaked and tuned, and not aligned afterwards.

10. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    check your coax, check it from end to end on the shield and the center conductor. What make is the vehicle your installing the radio in. also what is the mounting location.

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Your meter wattage for these types of meters may fluctuate because of the antenna, so I would start with taking the entire thing to someone who has the right equipment (antenna analyser) to see what the problem is with the antenna. THEN I would look at the radio.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.