T680 built in fridge

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Metalicious, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Metalicious

Metalicious Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2015
    ive got a 2016 t680 with the fridge. It also has the epu. If I leave the fridge on while I'm parked with the epu on, and the auto start for the engine enabled will the fridge hinder my truck from starting? The guy that was in the truck before I got it I guess lost the manuals. I can't find them anywheres.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    I thought the purpose of autostart was to generate enough juice for the truck to start..The frige starts draining your batteries then it autostarts to recharge them?

4. Metalicious

Sep 27, 2015
    That's what I want to be certain about. I'm not sure if that's for both fridge and epu, or just auto start for epu. I know it may sound like a silly question, but some truck makers like to do dumb stuff like that. For example, put the DEF tank on the passenger side.

HorseShoe Thanks this.
  5. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    If it is a factory fridge, it should have a low voltage cutoff. Most autostart systems are there to prevent your batteries from going dead. And did you mean an APU? They have an alternator to charge batteries.

6. Metalicious

Sep 27, 2015
    No, I mean epu. It's all battery powered. No engine needed. Unless the epu batteries get low, then the truck is suppose to start to charge them back up. Sounds nuts. Believe it or not it cools better than an APU any day of the week hands down. And nice and quiet since there's no motor.

7. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I have a similar system in my International. The autostart works 99.9% of the time. Every now and then it attempts to start but after the 1st few seconds, it quits. But I think it's a sensor somewhere that causes it to quit. I would trust your truck to do it's job. If all else fails, you'd have to get a jump start, and then since it's almost new, a dealer would fix whatever problem caused it not to do it's job under warranty.

Metalicious Thanks this.
  8. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    You can contact the manufacturer of the EPU for a replacement manual, or they might have a website where you can download it and then print it out.

I don't think having your fridge on will hinder the truck from starting.

There's only one way to find out........try it.

Metalicious Thanks this.
  9. Thed302

Thed302 Light Load Member

Oct 30, 2014
    USA
    The system will auto-start before voltage gets too low. Turn the switch on and forget about it.

Remember, these systems have to be as fool-proof as possible. Not all truckers are as bright as you guys here.

10. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    I have this truck with an APU and fridge.
    First of all the truck has an auto lot voltage cut off that doesn't have a setting. Meaning when batteries get low power is cut off throughout the truck.. fridge, l.e.d.. lights etc almost everything (not my espar heater though).
    The APU has an auto on-off setting to where when the truck battery gets low the APU will automatically kick on and recharged it thus you never have to worry about your fridge going off.

11. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Ya, what @supersnackbar said. If it's a factory fridge it will shut off on low voltage.

supersnackbar....LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.