Tail lights

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by camionneur, Dec 30, 2015.

1. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Last few months I've been seeing one or two vehicles every night without tail lights and head lights that work. Not the same ones, or trucks, just a new trend in new cars I guess.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    Speaking of trucks though, lately I've started wedging the electrical cord into trailers with folded paper in the bottom of the slot, so it can't move up and down or out (giving it a good shake to see if the lights stay on). Saw them in there a few times before, and started doing it myself after the tail lights on one would not stay lit otherwise. I've been behind trailers with flickering lights, or out tail lights with flashers on at full speed to compensate (guess they didn't know to wedge it in there).

4. Freightshaker613

Freightshaker613 Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Ontario Canada
    This is usually a tell tale sign that you are in need of a new 7WAY. Or you can try to straighten out the prongs..That piece of paper will only last so long. (FYI, a used plastic seal works best IMO) Cheers and happy new year

banders77 Thanks this.
  5. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
  6. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    So, this time I found that a cord which had a fair amount of play in it only caused the lights to flicker when I added a shim and wiggled the end, while it did not do that without one, so it can work either way. Weirder and weirder... oh, and there were a couple more cars with missing tail lights, but that's normal now.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I use the plastic seals as well in a pinch.

But one needs to keep in mind that doesn't solve the underlying problem, which is the plug needs replacement.

Freightshaker613 Thanks this.
  8. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    I'm guessing it's more particular to the outlet on the trailer, since as many trailers don't have issues with the plug in this case.

9. tsavory

tsavory Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    Yeah it's them morons that have daytime running lights the head lights come on while in gear they can see so have no clue they need to turn the switch for the rest of the lights to come on.

banders77 and camionneur Thank this.
  10. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    I guess it isn't a new trend then.

11. Kingo

Kingo Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Wal-Marts, Arkansas
    Took my truck to the shop and later found the taillight lens broke. I guess the a's's monkeys broke it and didn't say anything. Does anyone know what brand this is? There's no markings on the lens and I've search all over the net and can't seem to find it. The red lens has a built in led panel that mounts directly to the OEM box.

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.