Taking another swing at it

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Wickedfire77, Mar 18, 2014.

1. popcorn169

popcorn169 Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    Nestle Water at 305 was a pain today almost 2 hours to get in the gate just to get an empty trailer. Get checked in and said no empty trailer but I could look. So I found an empty trailer and got out of there. Was about hour and half late for my 13:00 apt had to get worked in so it has been an interesting day.
    Good news though it was company fault for late apt.because of trailer search

Wickedfire77 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wickedfire77

Wickedfire77 Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    Made it to NJ. Downfall? I'm out of my 70 until midnight. It's ok though, I can use a good nights sleep after this run.

4. Wickedfire77

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    I parked at the pilot at exit 12 on i78! I actually got a parking spot! I should play the lottery with this kind of good fortune.
    I'm all showered and shaved, soon to be ready for bed. Got up wayyy too early the last two days.

DenaliDad Thanks this.
  5. Wickedfire77

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    I think maybe it was an inside job, personally. Smoke and mirrors, maybe even a hacker cut and paste it on the prompter.
    I heard Mike Rowe talk about this thing earlier. Interesting. I think we are on the same page as thinking people.

Regarding the charges of plagiarism, I really don’t know. All I know for sure is that Mrs. Trump is absolutely, positively guilty of standing before the country and reading words she didn’t write as if they were own.
    I also know that Mrs. Obama is guilty of doing the same thing. Both women - along with their husbands - have stood proudly before a national audience and pretended the words they read originated with them - knowing full well they did not.
    TelePrompTers have littered stages everywhere to help people deliver words that were not their own.

Let’s consider for a moment, the weird reality of speechwriters in our political discourse. Why do we tolerate them? Why do we permit our leaders to pretend that someone else’s words are theirs? Moreover, why do we allow them to stand before us and act as if they’re NOT reading from a script, when we know #### well they are?

Today, half the country has risen up in righteous indignation because the words of an anonymous speechwriter - words once read by Mrs. Obama as if they were her own - have been co-opted by another anonymous speechwriter, and given to another aspiring First Lady - who also read those same words as if they belonged to them.

I remember, in the wake of the Challenger disaster, Ronald Regan gave a truly extraordinary speech. Every sentence was brilliant, but this part was unforgettable.

“We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them this morning, as they prepared for their journey, waved goodbye, and slipped the surly bonds of earth to touch the face of God.”

I was not very old at the time, and I literally cried when I heard those words. I was truly touched. Later, I learned those words had been written for Reagan by Peggy Noonan. After that, I learned Peggy Noonan had lifted those words from a poem called “High Flight,” written by an airman who died in WWII named John McGee.

Did Ronald Reagan plagiarize Peggy Noonan? Did Peggy Noonan plagiarize John McGee?

Much like in music, there are only so many ways you can put the notes together before sounding like something already heard else when.

The sad reality is that this speech thing took the attention away from the policies and platforms that a potential Trump administration will put in place in a few months. That's what people missed paying attention to.
    Smoke and mirrors.

Lazydog Thanks this.
  6. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    The whole plagiarism thing is just a bunch of political nonsense.

But, Reagan's speech doesn't belong in this conversation. The quote from "High Flight" is the equivalent of quoting the "Lords Prayer". At least one TV station in every market of the country signed off with "High Flight" every night in the 60s. It's a cultural touchstone to an entire generation. We knew exactly what Reagan was saying and why, when he spoke those words.

7. Wickedfire77

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    I have renewed my resolve.
    I'm seeing this thing to the end. March 2017 and it's mine.
    I was under an impression that a rebuild on a DD S60 would be north of $30k. A reliable friend told me that's "For a 6nz cat lol"
    And he knows drivers who have had a S60 done for near half that.
    So I figure I can run it about a year after I pay it off and save up to rebuild it maybe January-February 2018 if all goes well. I predict about $20k on the high side, just so I'm happy if it is less.

Lazydog Thanks this.
  8. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    12k or 25k for a new rebuilt engine....some independent shops will quote under 10 k......30k is a CAT rebuild!!!!...like, say mine.... :(

9. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    For 30k you can get it rebuilt AND re-spray the truck!!!!

10. Wickedfire77

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    That sounds like a plan.

RERM Thanks this.
  11. Wickedfire77

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    So I learned today that, after I get the title, I have the option of staying on the maintenance program, doing exactly as I have been, without worry of repair cost on anything.
    I'm mulling this over, because while I love the idea of not paying 15cpm into a program and instead keeping that cash, I also think about that first month after the title, and if something goes wrong and a major repair cost hits me, all my work will be for naught.
    I look at it as having 3 options:
    1) take the truck and try elsewhere or on my own.
    2) stay on the maintenance program for as long as I'd like. (That includes a rebuild)
    3) get on the O/O side and be responsible for my own maintenance and tolls (no ezpass) getting paid a little more. ($1.16 +fsc loaded 90cpm +fsc empty)

I have 6 months to make my choice. And once the choice to option 3 is made, there are no take backs and running back to option 2.

RERM and 88 Alpha Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.