Tandem truck for pleasure use?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by AModelCat, Aug 3, 2015.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I've always wanted an old day cab W900A so I went and bought one last year. I'm just curious if anyone has ever registered a tandem class 8 truck for private/pleasure use? If so do you have to run a log book and abide by the hours of service? Are annual inspections required? I do have my Class 1 with air. At this point in time I'm bouncing between BC and AB and I'm not sure where I'll be permanently when I get the truck on the road in the next year or 2.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Google: HDT (heavy duty truck) RVs. There are lots about and there are forums dedicated to them... lots of tips for navigating the various provincial motor vehicle departments. If the truck is registered as an RV then it is, by definition, not a CMV; therefore no log book, no HOS requirements, etc. It may be subject to an annual inspection if required for such a registered vehicle in your home province. If not actually being used as an RV, at least removing the fifth wheel would go a long way towards claiming non-CMV status.

A number of years ago I bought a Freightliner Classic in the U.S. and drove it back to Calgary on in-transit registrations (personal, not commercial) and personal insurance... no log books, etc. I did roll through a couple scales in the U.S. (easier than explaining after-the-fact), but didn't get pulled in. Didn't roll through any in Canada.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  4. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    No affiliation and no experience, but by viewing, one of the most experienced in this area appears to be here in Calgary: http://rvhaulers.ca/ At least it's a place to start.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  5. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    That's pretty neat. I wonder if it's possible to side step HOS and log books by applying for collector plates. There's a guy somewhere in western Canada with a 25th anniversary W900 and I noticed it had collector plates.

6. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    I would say as long as it is not used for commercial purposes you don't have all the DOT, CVSA etc. to put up with.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  7. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Saw an older Mack in Quebec that a guy had changed to single axel and a dually pick up box.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  8. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    I thought collector plates were for 40 years or more.

9. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'm pretty sure it's 30. My parents have an old 1976 car and it's had collector plates on it for a couple years now. I'll ask them next time I see them since they are going through the process with another car right now.

10. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
  11. Denadii Cho

Denadii Cho Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Calgary Alberta
    I did see one pulled in at the Cottonwood scales in California. Apparently there is no HDT that is recreatonal. If you use one as an RV you still need to scale and keep logs

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.