Tank or not, that is the question....

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by BullJockey, Sep 30, 2015.

1. BullJockey

BullJockey Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Crystal River, Fl
    Hey fellows,
    I'm seriously considering a career move, having a long time background in trucking stemming back to the mid 80's, I've pulled everything except a tank.....Bull Rack's, RGN's, Dump's etc. The fact I'm not getting any younger and the 1/2" chains/binders aren't getting any lighter I feel it's time to seek a retirement position with a decent income to boot.

I have yrs of OTR behind me so looking to stay closer to the home front (Jasonville. IN (50mi SW of Indy), as mentioned above I'm no spring chicken to trucking I bought my first tractor back in 85 and pulled nearly every trailer type available since with the exception of tanks, although I've held the tank endorsement since their inception! Most of my experience has been in the heavy haul side with a cpl yrs of pulling a bull rack.
    I have HM/Tank/Dbl endorsements, as well as my twic coupled with yrs of safe driving and no recent tickets on my record I feel I'd be well suited for tank work if I can find something locale to the Indiana area....any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

1378582_10200874849815228_1850536402_n.jpg

HorseShoe Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    You looking to commute to Indy daily, or looking for more of a regional take truck home type of thing?

4. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Neier Inc., Heritage Environmental, Liquid Transport...stay away from R&D.

BullJockey Thanks this.
  5. BullJockey

Oct 19, 2013
    Crystal River, Fl
    I'd like to stay within a days drive if possible, as I'm done with OTR for the most part, that said, a cpl days out is ok then home...even day out day back in day cab would be real good lol
    Before the thread gets attacked just realize Ive paid my dues otr and its time to get closer to momma and have some long time needed quality time at home.

RookieJ1987 and TruckrWnnaB Thank this.
  6. DADof3

DADof3 Medium Load Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Clarksville, TN
    Check out ADM In Decatur, IL. They have a terminal up in Indy. You would be gone a couple nights a week. When I lived outside Decatur, I would leave Monday morning and be home Wednesday afternoon. Leave out Thursday morning and be home Saturday morning. Usually ran 3000-3200 miles a week and was grossing 72K. Insurance was like $35 a week for family and it covered almost everything.

Canned Spam and BullJockey Thank this.
  7. BullJockey

Oct 19, 2013
    Crystal River, Fl
    Sounds like a decent gig, I will take a closer look at them, yrs ago I hauled corn and coal to the ADM plants in Decatur and Clinton Ia

8. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    I know nothing about the company but you might want to check out Quest
    http://www.questliner.com/terminal_locations.html

I load grain alcohol out of a processing plant in Washington In from time to time. There are always 2 or 3 local guys there preloading tanks all day that go to the distilleries in Kentucky among other places. I would imagine there are some good out and back loads available out of there.

BullJockey Thanks this.
  9. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    You will like hauling tankers! Customers are usually very cool and nice. You go to some really interesting places and it's nice not being 13'6" for a change lol. You get paid more for what you do as well. Most companies pay you for every stop, none of this get one or 2 stops for free bs.
    I would advise not working for a carrier that offers split pay. By that I mean something like .".45 loaded, .35 empty.
    That drops your overall cpm pretty far and I think it's the sign of a low class carrier. An empty tank is still dangerous, especially if you still have residual hazardous product in it.

Depending on what you haul, I like chemicals, you have to be very methodical. You have a crap-ton of experience and have done just about everything, so this shouldn't be an issue.
    But it's very easy to make a simple mistake that has catstrophic consequences when you haul chemicals.

The unloading is fairly easy, depending on the product and your actual unloading station. I've had 5 hour unloads because of some engineer thought putting 32 90° elbows in 500 feet of pipe and reducing it from a 2 inch line down to an inch, was a good idea lol.
    Some guys on here talk about polymers, sucrose, and chocolate being difficult.

Its always different. Its usally always interesting, and it pays well and it's not back breaking. You will have to climb up on top of the tank from time to time, but I'm sure you don't have any height issues, having tarped before.

Most of my experience is turnpike doubles or doubles and triples. I only recently got into tanker and I wish that I had done it sooner. I left it for childish reasons, but I'm on my way back. I would have grossed 85k my first year and have been home for a reset and once or twice during the week.

Tankers kick butt and I believe you'll enjoy hauling for a good carrier, especially if you get on with an out and back one, instead of system.

RookieJ1987, DADof3 and BullJockey Thank this.
  10. BullJockey

Oct 19, 2013
    Crystal River, Fl
    Thank you for your input, I am soooo looking forward to a move, Ive kicked tank around for more than a year and looked at nearly every thread on here, I'm sold I believe lol

11. DADof3

DADof3 Medium Load Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Clarksville, TN
    Another good thing about ADM is 99.9% of everything is out loaded and back empty, and around .45-47 cpm all miles and practical miles.

scythe08 and BullJockey Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.