Tanker Terminology 101

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by superpet39, Mar 2, 2013.

1. mahittsingh

mahittsingh Bobtail Member

Dec 3, 2014
    And any good companies around GTA who train. I bn driving for 8 now but dry vans only..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Not sure what GTA means but Quality Carriers trains ya.
    They have terminals everywhere. 100 of them across the country

Bud A. Thanks this.
  4. jonboy29

jonboy29 Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Home Sweet Home... SW Ont.
    Greater Toronto Area.....people in the gta believe they are the center of the universe, when infact they are the center of the earths butt....lol.
    I've lived in the gta!

Try trimac, they train.

5. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Toronto, thanks Jon boy

6. Ammoman0110

Ammoman0110 Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Northern Chicago Suburbs
    Schneider has a really good training academy for tanker. If you have driving exp, you'll be in training for about a week tops. They'll hook you up with OTR at first. Work your ### off, don't #### up and you'll get noticed quickly by the higher ups. Within a few months you'll get offered more #### (a dedicated account, local, regional). The only thing is, is you need to be on top of your truck, your pay, and your loads. Keep asking for more loads everyday, call in and ask what your manager has for you, and they'll get you hooked up. With time, patience, and busting ###, you'll get taken care of.

7. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Good thing his plugs and caps were secure. :rolleyes:

8. 6daysontheroad

6daysontheroad Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    North of the Rio Grande
    Turd: A slug of hardened asphalt in a header bar or hose usually requiring heat to remove it

superpet39 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  9. Kannonball

Kannonball Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Under the Hood
    I'm a newb driver right out of truck driver training who was hired by a local gas hauler and was to be trained for 6-8 weeks before going solo. After 4 weeks I was let go because the transportation manager didn't have confidence to let me go solo at the end of 4 weeks. I made some minor mistakes but didn't cross drop or scully out. (I was carded at three terminals). My shifting (though I was really getting the hang of floating gears) and Winter driving conditions a couple months away were the official reasons for dismissal. Anyway, I liked the work and want to get back into the gas hauling game. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

10. G35 Mass

G35 Mass Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Massssss
    Hi. Quick question -
    Why in California are doubles so prevalent?

Here in Massachusetts I've never seen double tankers or dump trucks. Everything is just one large dump body or one large trailer.

11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey

There are not doubles. It's what's we call a truck and trailer. There is a big difference. On a set of doubles you hook two pup trailers. There's a fifth wheel on the tractor and another on a converter gear. so you pivot in 3 places when backing. On a truck and trailer the first tank is permanently mounted on the truck and the trailer is hook by pintle hook at the rear bumper of the truck. Then it has a fixed turn table that never comes off. There is no fifth wheel on the truck. It matters because when you back the pivot point starts in the middle of the truck and pivot in two places. You can haul more product and get into closer places. You'll see mostly tanks that use this set up because gasoline station are sometimes hard to get into with a semi. It's like your pick-up and your boat only on a larger scale. And BTW, once you've driven one it's unlikely you'll want to go back to any thing else.

Bud A. and Cuban_P Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.