Tanker w/o active DOT

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Peanut617, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Peanut617

Peanut617 Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Cornville, USA
    Is there any way an LLC owner can legally drive a gasoline tanker interstate, in a rig you own, with an inactive DOT#? Can you operate under someone else's MC if you're hazmat?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    That really is up to the state where you register it. Many States require you to get your IRP using the dot number of the carrier with authority, and don't require you to have your own dot. I am not aware that dot numbers become inactive. I think it is only the authority, which until next month is the MC number.

4. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
    Operating without proper authority is a hot button with FMCSA. They have us looking at EVERY stop carefully to make sure the carrier has active USDOT authority. Especially with HM.

Unless you lease on to a carrier with the proper authority, I would advise against it. WAAAAAY too much liability.

5. Inspector

Inspector Bobtail Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Upper Plains
    In my state we check operating authority, UCR, and if the carrier is out of service or not. If you show up with no operating authority, your truck is stuck there until you get it. If your operating while the carrier is out of service, its a free ride downtown. Lease on to a carrier or don't do it, like Scalemaster said. FMCSA is threatening to take away states grant funds, if they don't check on every inspection.

6. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    You guys that at working at the scales weighing and doing inspecting it would be nice to see more of you guys all over this site. Especially with the new drivers

Mikesee Thanks this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    they used to visit quite regularly

8. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
    Oh, we lurk around from time to time.:biggrin_25525:

GasHauler Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.