TCH fuel card or Fly J fueler card?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 2hellandback, Jul 5, 2009.

1. 2hellandback

2hellandback Heavy Load Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Blackfoot Idaho
    Trying To decide between ,,,Master Card Flying J frequent fueler money card OR TCH fuel card?

What say you guys?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    TCH is put out by Flying 'j' corp, I do believe. Read the small print. Do you get the fuel discount on both cards?

4. 2hellandback

2hellandback Heavy Load Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Blackfoot Idaho
    yes tch is imediate and the other one is credited back at the month end

5. miconn

miconn Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Mobile,AL
    I like my Flying J card from Transportation Alliance Bank. You can deposit express code advances from brokers and it shows up immediately(no charge). Tchek used to charge me $20.00 to deposit an express code other than another Tchek. You can order checks from this account as well as authorize and use TCH checks for like, $2.00. I get points for fuel gallons, store purchases, meals, and points per hundred for non "J" purchases with the card. I get cash price at the pump reflected as a discount immediately, and a rebate at the end of the month. It is a bank, insured by FDIC, (although the Owner/Operator card is not). I am not crazy about using the "J" exclusively, so I do carry cash with me. But it is a pretty good (and reasonable) resource to start with. It is virtually free, started by a $50.00 deposit. I was looking into activating my TChek account again and was informed of new fees, like a $50.00 monthly fee offset by transaction fees. Not interested, TABB works just fine for me and my 1 truck operation.

simplyred1962 Thanks this.
  6. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    Miconn mentioned the benefits of the Master Card. The down side to it and a plus to the TCH card is that other stations will not give you the cash price for the MC but will give it to you for the TCH card.
    I'm not bashing either one.
    I ran a TCH for several years and had no issues with it.

7. miconn

miconn Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Mobile,AL
    This is true Mr Brickman, which is why I carry cash or can use a TCH express check for a $2.00 fee. They all have their +/-'s. It was just so much easier to get this account started cheaper. I am one of those O/Ops with authority that didn't start with a wad of cash for a cushion. It's pretty tight right now, so every dollar saved helps. I wanted to re-activate my T Chek account, but didn't feel up to paying $75 to activate and $50 per month, just to have express codes and a fuel card. 1 truck, 1 driver(me), cash works pretty good, keeps me from spending too much, and helps me budget what I have.
    Good Forum Board, lots of information being shared by others here. Some pretty good, makes me know I am not the only one struggling out here, others, well lets just say you can tell the bullcrap from the real deal.......

8. miconn

miconn Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Mobile,AL
    oops, Just found out that Pilot bought Flying J. I don't know how this will affect Transportation Alliance Bank or TCH. It will be cool if it will integrate, otherwise I would proceed with caution about using either one. Guess I have to rethink my own options.........

9. ddt

ddt Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    jsut to confirm... are you using the TCH fuel card? What kind of savings does it give you?

10. Mr. PlumCrazy

Mr. PlumCrazy Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Lexington NC
    I buy most of my fuel at places that give you the same price cash or credit and they are always cheaper too. I do have a Landstar and England Logistic Comdata that I use from time to time. I run mainly the same lanes all the time and have found fuel stops in them lanes that are cheaper than most

11. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    England is switching to TCH and Pilot/J discounts are doubling.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.