Team Best Practices...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jacked Jaw, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Jacked Jaw

Jacked Jaw Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Hello All!

Im looking for the best team practices out there. I know its hell and it depends on your teammate but all of that aside I would still like to hear some advice. I have been trying to look over all of the HOS rules and trying to figure out how best to run the hours to maximize your week/time. I have heard that runing around 8 hours per driver a day works good so you dont have to do a reset. Thoughts?
    Also the company we are going to drive for says we do about 11 days out/3 days in. We are more than willing to do more (up to 14) days out depending on freight, account, etc.

Thanks in advance for all of the info! Any additional advice concerning teams (except the obvious dont do it) besides hours would be greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    My boss teamed up with me a couple of times and it takes more than just splitting driving hours. One major point he told me why he road with me was because he could sleep while I drove. If you've been driving awhile you'll know what I'm taking about. A smooth relaxed attentive driver causes less worriers than others.

tscottme Thanks this.
  4. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    about 10 hours and you wont have to reset. so figure 9 hrs drive 1 hr for rest/pre and post then next dirver takes over and you sleep.

5. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    Beans & chili are forbidden foods.

6. 2Girls_1Truck

2Girls_1Truck Medium Load Member

May 18, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Figuring out a schedule that works for you and your team driver is the best practice.

It's much easier to fall asleep, day or night, while the truck is parked. So plan to make your switches and pretrips at a truck stop or rest area where one driver can spend a little time outside of the truck while the other snuggles in to sleep.

Limit your phone calls and turn the CB off. I can sleep through the odd rumble strip blip or jake brakes and car horns blaring, i CANNOT sleep while someone is 3 feet from me hollering racist crap on the CB or on the phone.

Keep in mind that sleep is a 4 hour pattern (life hack). Most people sleep two cycles a day, so 8 hours. But from the time you doze off, fall deep asleep, dream, get restless, flip over a few times and wake up and look at the clock is usually 4 hours. When it's not time to get up, you doze off again and repeat that sequence. Try to respect that sequence as much as possible in terms of stopping for coffees, fuel, etc. Waking in the middle of a sleep sequence leaves you disoriented, confused and startled instead of just waking up for a minute and going back to sleep.

Obviously respect the other person and hope they respect you. For tidy people, a messy truck is like living in a special hell, whereas messy people don't feel insane in tidy places, they just don't care.

Some people are very particular about music or radio programmes, some are easy going and don't mind listening to whatever. Some people hate the smell of onions on food and people, some people couldn't imagine supper without onions. Some people go bezerk if you move their things, some people are an open book.

I don't know anyone who ever teamed for a long period of time (more than a few weeks) and hated it, I thought I would and I actually prefer it. Been teaming for 3 years now, and no deaths on board yet.

7. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    That's often not true. For people who are less than tidy, it can be stressful living with someone who has to have everything exactly in the right place.

Night Prowler Thanks this.
  8. 2Girls_1Truck

2Girls_1Truck Medium Load Member

May 18, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I didn't say living with the tidy person, I said living in the tidy space. I have a few friends who are slobs, they still come to my place (which is clean). They don't feel compelled to trash my house, even if I have to pick up after them while they visit.

2 tidy people could want to kill each other just the same as 2 messy people or one of each.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.