Team driving

Discussion in 'Prime' started by SavvyRed, Jul 30, 2016.

1. SavvyRed

SavvyRed Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2016
    So, I'll just state it again, I'm a rookie lease op. I'm doing fine financially, so please just stop with the evil leasing posts.
    My buddy is coming on the truck. She got her A right away because she's coming from another company. She is coming onto my truck to learn about leasing crap.
    Several questions:
    1- with the increase in company wages, I'm understanding she will make 46 cents in a light weight. +2 cents for every mile over 2100. Correct?
    2- I'm planning on paying her 18 cents a mile. That only equates to 1080 prior to taxes, but I've heard that it is the max they allow you to pay. Is this true?
    3- is there a way for us to split this lease? Basically, we end up liking teaming and I add her to my llc. I don't want all the liability, and she'll want her fair share of earnings.
    4- company teaming. Each driver is paid for each mile, correct? So, 5000 miles (3000 times 41), with the 10 cents over 3000 (2000 times 51), would be 2310 prior to taxes for each driver. Why does this seem unreal? Would we really be paid that much?
    Thanks for the help :D She hasnt been on the road in a few months and is coming on to get comfortable with the road again. I want to provide her with as much company and lease info as possible. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Some co. split all $ even to each team member, its your truck so you can pay whatever it states on the lease, are you W-2 or 1099 your team driver?

SavvyRed Thanks this.
  4. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Medium Load Member

May 23, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    I can't help with the first two questions, but I can wth 3 and 4.
    3. Bad idea. Makes things more complicated than it has to be and also makes it harder if your friend decided to get off the truck. Keep your friend as an employee. Teaming is hard and often what works on the short term doesn't on the long term.
    4. That pay is to the truck. It is split between the drivers, not for each driver. To really be making good money y'all need to putting down 6k plus miles a week.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I was a company team several times and lastly with spouse. Her pay was half mine due to her lack of experience.

However.

PAYROLL paid to the truck per trip number. Then further divided to her and me. That way she knows exactly her net and I know mine. However. because were the same house, both moneys went into our bank and pockets.

Taxes were filed jointly that year, it came to a bit over 60K which is upper middle class where we are. The big bite of taxes due was defended by taking the daily allowed time away from home on the road deductions multiplied by number of days service more than 100 miles from house. Keep the logs for that year 7 years after in case of a audit.

Everything else... I choose to comment on one thing. You two need to understand who makes what before you both run the truck. If you two are completely seperate drivers no marriage, common law or anything like that your co driver needs a complete tax statement every payroll so that he or she can go and file and not get entangled in your own stuff.

The Leasing under 1099 or not 1099 introduces another can of worms which you need expert help.

NavigatorWife and SavvyRed Thank this.
  6. SavvyRed

SavvyRed Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2016
    So you get paid for half the total miles of the truck? That's what I'm trying to figure out. It doesnt make sense for Prime to be paying each person that much per mile.
    I speak with a Cpa Monday and I'll figure out how I'll be paying her. Thanks for bringing that up, as I added this to a list of things to ask him.
    Also, we are both female. So, no worries on the common law thing. Right now this is my truck, she's coming on to get comfortable once more and if we work well she can stay as a employee unless it benefits her to go solo.

7. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Are you not making a percentage of the load now vs mileage? Are you going to clear enough to pay both her and yourself after all the lease payments and expenses are paid? You may not get 6000 miles per week either, but your expenses still come out, so watch what you promise.

FullMetalJacket Thanks this.
  8. BigSky

BigSky Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Haha, it's not PC to say that anymore ... and legally it's not factual. How you "identify" seems to be the prevailing factor now. o_O

9. mem

mem Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2015
    I run team with the wife and we are company drivers.

I am at 25 cpm on all miles the truck gets, and we split a 20 cpm bonus for all miles over 3,000 in the week.

Last week we ran 6555 miles and my paycheck was a hair over $2100 before taxes.

I don't know about the lease stuff although I understand there are mileage penalties in the lease.

10. mem

mem Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2015
    You might want to talk to your dispatcher about it. If I understand correctly, if your buddy wants to be a company driver she can do that while on your truck and prime handles her payroll and in every sense she is the same as a company driver. Of course her pay comes out of your settlements.

I was told that by my friend who is now an owner-op at Prime when I was considering going lease. He was saying leave the wife company for insurance benefits, vacation, etc...

11. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Medium Load Member

May 23, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    All of this.

darthanubis and FullMetalJacket Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.