Teen hit, killed on I-35 in New Braunfels, TX after he ‘walked’ in front of truck

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by chico9696, Dec 2, 2016.

1. chico9696

chico9696 Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2009
    USA
    By Claire Ricke Published: December 2, 2016, 8:49 am Updated: December 2, 2016, 11:48 am

http://kxan.com/2016/12/02/pedestrian-hit-by-car-closing-southbound-i-35-in-new-braunfels/
    [​IMG]
    17-year-old died after being hit by a truck while walking on I-35 in New Braunfels. (KXAN Photo/Lauren Lanmon)
    NEW BRAUNFELS (KXAN) — All southbound lanes of Interstate 35 are back open after a teenager was hit and killed by an 18-wheeler Friday morning.

A 17-year-old from San Marcos was found lying in the road around 8:15 a.m. by New Braunfels police. Unable to revive him, the teen was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash on the 3900 block of I-35.

Witnesses told police the teen pulled his truck over to the side of I-35 and then intentionally walked in front of a semi-truck. The driver of the 18-wheeler was not injured and will most likely not face charges.

Traffic is being diverted to the access road. Drivers are warned to avoid the area as traffic is backing up.

Police are on the scene and say drivers should expect the road to be closed for the next couple of hours.

The identity of the teen will not be released until his family is notified.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Sad. I hope the driver can get past this.

magoo68, NavigatorWife, flood and 12 others Thank this.
  4. Quackers

Quackers Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Ky
    Yeah man #### like that can mess with you hard.

5. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    What's up with all the truck suicides? There were a bunch in Ohio a while back, and I'm pretty sure I encountered a candidate just outside Cincinnati on 275. Black clothes and hat on an unlit stretch of road where there should not be any pedestrian traffic. Only reason I didn't run him over was because I saw my headlights reflecting off his glasses and had room to move away from him.

My sympathies all go to the driver who was just trying to make his next stop, not the kid who jumped in front of the truck. He got what he wanted. It's just a shame he thought it was ok to to put that guilt on someone that didn't deserve it.

6. TruckDrivingtn

TruckDrivingtn Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    Maryville Tn
    Had a friend of mine that happened to in 2001 she still doesn't drive.

NavigatorWife, flood, mjd4277 and 3 others Thank this.
  7. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    In my time I have seen so many people's lives go down the drain.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That is not a good way to go. I have a feeling Society is breaking under the strain, suicides are the first wave.

A long time ago Suicides were common among those who reached a dead end.

But a human being versus a modern truck or any vehicle is a very bad thing. I wipe a tear just thinking about this story. I know that area pretty well.

9. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    It's more common than you would think.

http://www.overdriveonline.com/suicide-by-truck-part-1/

Suicide by truck data isn’t officially tracked. What does get counted is likely underreported because when a victim of suicide by a moving vehicle leaves no note, the death often is ruled an unavoidable accident.

Suicide by truck often is lumped in with statistics for pedestrian or auto suicide. In 2013 (the most recent year for complete statistics), that category accounted for only 167 of all 41,149 suicides in the United States.

Though the lack of data makes it impossible to know how suicide by truck is trending, some reports would indicate it’s rising.

10. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    If you want out - by truck is a sure fire way to do it. An 80,000lb bullet that doesn't miss. Guaranteed.

Unfortunately, with this method comes the lack of concern for whomever else's life you're going to screw up.
    Like any suicide - somebody's gotta clean that #### up.

11. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Even teens know the force of a semi...then why do we still have drivers acting like idiots around us, claiming "ignorance"?
    I have a sneaky suspicion the government doesn't want to track or isolate that data, given the fact a smart lawyer could correlate it to a defense case.

But anyway, wow..prayers for all involved.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.