Tell me about Conestogas or rolling tarp systems

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Old Man, May 23, 2015.

1. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Looking at rolling tarp systems. Probably for a 53 flat or low pro step. Like to know the good, bad and ugly from experienced hands.

I see some with nice taught tarps and some not so tight, is it driver or manufacture? What about tie downs? Need to use straps and chains. Best for the most inside clearance? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    tension is adjustable, the old conestoga brand systems had a hexagon key on the side you turned til it went over center. Newer systems such as Fasttrack have adjustable tensioner's on the back corners which is better. I think some guys leave them a little loose for fear of stretching them out, but I think you can get them fairly tight without worrying much.

When you see really loose ones it's probably just driver laziness, does not adjust tensioner's, even a worn out one I think you could shim or something.

Old Man Thanks this.
  4. saddlesore

saddlesore Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2011
    The Great NorthWet
    No matter which brand You go with, be sure to get one that has replace-able panels, that way if you get a tear too big to patch you can just replace one panel( like a Quick-Draw) instead of the whole shebang..

strollinruss Thanks this.
  5. catalinaflyer

catalinaflyer Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    My experience is with the QuikDraw brand for the most part. As for securement you can still use straps or chains just like normal, the track actually mounts to the outside of the rub rail with a rubber flap under to seal off the gap between the rail and trailer.

As @saddlesore said, make sure whichever manufacturer you choose they are a panel system so if something should happen and you get a big tear you can replace a panel rather than need a whole new one.

The tensioning system on a QuikDraw seems to be one of the better designs, it uses a screw system on an A-frame at the back corners and you crank them tight. If you see a QuikDraw brand loose it's either a broken one or a lazy driver. Most likely driver....

Clearance as far as width, if you can load it legally on an open trailer it will fit in a QuikDraw. In fact you can get 104" inside all of ours (105" if you block it up on 4X4's off the deck). Height, you'll loose 2" all the way across and about 3" out at the very edge on each side.

6. FtWorthTrucker

FtWorthTrucker Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2014
    The only downside I have ever found with pulling one is if something starts to go wrong with securement, you can't see it. Never been an issue with me, but I worry about it on every trip. So lots of checking will do the trick.

7. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Conestoga Aero is the way to go in my book. I own three, all different brands and the Aero is the most sturdy and long lasting. Also a little heavier :(

8. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Btw once you get one, as soon as it starts not working 100% correctly get it fixed/adjusted right away. It will go downhill quick if you don't stay on top of it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.