Tell me where I am wrong with Landstar.

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by akfisher, Apr 30, 2015.

1. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    Not quite understanding?You say you have a trailer loan,(your own trailer)?Wouldn't you get more than 63%?

truckfam Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I'm quoting my accounting figures for the month.
    I get 73% of line haul revenue.

4. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Understood!Thanks.

5. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    If you want to pull a van for Landstar, I would wait until you run for them for a few months before buying a trailer. The reason is that Landstar has a lot of drop and hook with their vans. You won't be able to do drop and hook if you own your trailer. That might limit you on what you haul. On the other hand, you will have a higher percentage rate with your own trailer. Depending on where you live and run, you could limit yourself with your own trailer. That is why I suggested you wait for a few months to see if you really need your own trailer and if it will be worth the added cost. It very well could be worth the cost, but for some it isn't.

spectacle13 Thanks this.
  6. PureLeafTea

PureLeafTea Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Been here over a decade let me tell the truth. If you can get out of trucking do it.

Ok now about Landstar. Having a trailer is nice. You know it, more revenue, not at the mercy of trailer utilization, etc. You sit for a long time and they will take your trailer. Don't think power only is so great. Just because you need a trailer doesn't mean you'll get a trailer any time soon if they don't have one.

As for revenue. Where are the guys not doing well? There are way more of them. All I ever see posted are high mileage rates, tons of miles and home every weekend. Well something stinks. Is it possible? Yes, but for most it isn't. All depends on where you live. I'm not here to bad mouth Landstar, but I am also not going to blow sugar up your butt. Not sure what that means, sounded good.

Lots of problems at Landstar. From too much broker freight, to corporate that doesn't care if you are alive or dead unless you owe them money, to agents that seem to know as much about trucking as the average illegal working down at the Motel 6. I've also recently had agents tell me Landstar is encouraging them to use outside carriers and NOT Landstar drivers. That's not good. Loads are also way down. We have been consistently under 18k loads a day for a few days. Very strange this time of the year, but that is just a right now thing.

Agents here also skim. Say a load pays 6k, they will run it through their agency and cover the credit on it. Then they post it for 3k, you take it and think it's wonderful until you find out the customer is paying 6k. I have proof of this happening many times. Corporate does not care. Money is money to them.

You can make money here if it works for you and where you live. Otherwise my suggestion is go where the money in trucking always has been - booking loads, not driving them around.

Until we get truth in lending type legislation passed where what the load pays and to whom must be clearly printed on the bills drivers will continue to get screwed over. The government doesn't care though and neither do drivers.

You have no idea how much you are getting screwed.

spectacle13, truckfam and AndrewH Thank this.
  7. PureLeafTea

PureLeafTea Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Oh and this is fun info to know, our last CEO made almost 4 MILLION a year. Think about that the next time you're peeing in a bottle, sleeping in some shady parking lot, been out a month away from your home, motorcycle, wife, kids, your life.

Our life is driving. We can't do much else while on the road. We sacrifice way too much for what they pay us. How many of you have a pension coming when you retire? Oh that's right Landstar doesn't have a pension. Are you saving 1/3 to 1/2 of your pay for retirement? That's what you are supposed to be doing. Saving .15cpm for a new truck? Probably not. CEO is getting a nice retirement package though. It's time America pays up. We do as much or more for this country than even the military. At least when they get out they can go to college for free. Truck drivers get and have gotten the shaft for far too long. To the public and the companies we work for all we are is a bunch of stupid rednecks. Here have a cap, a flashlight, a birthday card, a BBQ utensil set. Job well done truck driver. Has nobody else noticed pay hasn't moved in over 10 years. Crete trucks still advertise 50cpm, that was on their trucks when I stopped being a company driver back in 2003!

spectacle13 and AndrewH Thank this.
  8. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Back in the days before deregulation we had the ICC.They would actually help O/O's then.The law was if you had a lease that paid 75% of the linehaul,that's what you got,the company had to show you the freightbill if requested.Only brokers then were for the exempt haul guys,produce,etc..Then the progressives wanted to deregulate trucking,"we'll all make tons of money",that's what they said.When deregulation finally reared its ugly head and was full implemented and understood,it was in the late 80's,early 90's.Owning your own truck's true bottom line has been slowly going downhill ever since.The best money I ever made,true bottom line was in the 70's and 80's. I just retired from over 40 years with my own rig and I'm collecting a teamster pension from being leased to Union carriers back in those days.Try and find that nowadays!Trucking anymore is dog eat dog.Sounds corney,but I sure miss the old days of trucking,there was enough to go around for everybody. JMHO for wiw.

clausland and Pintlehook Thank this.
  9. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Things were much different before deregulation. Things were much more relaxed back then. An owner operator is still legally able to ask to see the contract/rate, but few will ask. In some ways, things have not changed much, in other they are much different. The biggest change I see is in drivers. Today's drivers want their employer to do everything for them. Those from deregulation days were much more independent.

10. hawkjr

hawkjr Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Why do so many people worry about what the "CEO" makes when you're not even a employee?? You're a contractor, you work with Landstar, not for them. If it doesn't work for you and you're not making money leave. Simple concept.

I'm sure I'm gonna get called a "Cheerleader", I can careless. At the moment LS works for me, I'm not getting rich, but I'm making it, but I understand what's going on here. Idk why drivers think LS aren't gonna make their money, they're in business to make the biggest profit they can!! Aren't you???

G/MAN and OOwannaBE Thank this.
  11. OOwannaBE

OOwannaBE Medium Load Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    I agree, this annoys me too when people cry about what someone else makes. If its so easy to make millions of dollars as a CEO then why won't the complainers become CEOs? Oh, because your current job is in fact easier than making millions of dollars managing a successful company. It's hard work to reach that level but once you've made it then it seems easy reaping the rewards. What we say won't matter truckers will still complain without changing a thing.

hawkjr Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.