Test out

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DJ Hughes, Jul 6, 2015.

1. DJ Hughes

DJ Hughes Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Tennessee
    Ok folks wish me luck Im going to Knoxville in morning to take the skills test. Im a bit nervous bout it. Any advice? I also got a call from swift today. Thus far with my background they are my best choice. Its them or crst until I get some time under my belt and they do solo driving unlike crst that wants only teams. I have got a lot of great info from this site. I look forward to getting out there. Its something I always wanted to do. Thanks everyone.

Mr.X Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wild Murphy

Wild Murphy HAPPY TRUCK DRIVER

Mar 25, 2014
    Good luck. I would go with swift over CRST. Better training company.

DJ Hughes Thanks this.
  4. just_the

just_the Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Saltillo, MS
    Is Schneider an option, I know they have a yard in Knoxville. They were my first company, and there were a lot of things I didn't like, but they did keep miles on me; I ran my butt off there... Advice for the skills test: relax, and when backing, less is more in terms of angle correction...

Puppage and DJ Hughes Thank this.
  5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Might want to wear some leather gloves when you take the snake bending test. Snakes don't like to be bent.

6. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Swift or Schneider,, Schneider of course,,swift is the worst of the worst mega carriers,Crst is down there too,,

7. DJ Hughes

DJ Hughes Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Tennessee
    well I learnt a hard lesson today. NC where Im training and tn have a few differences when it comes to course sit up. NC gives 140ft to the rear of trailer when backing into the offset. TN gives 140ft to the front of tractor.They use 48ft trailers and we showed up with a 53ft. Needless to say I did not pass. It kind of hurt my pride a bit but Im set up to retake again Wednesday next week. Im not a bad driver I just got thrown for a loop when I lost 75ft of time to get trailer straight and in the hole, and they do it to the blind side. Alliance has been great but was training on NC course and taking a tn test, they now have the layout for the tn course set up so I can train on offset at close range it does make a difference as I found out the hard way today. Its all good I want to be ready and now I get another week of training and its going to be all backing, my trainer says my shifting and lane control are great. I was very upset at first but Im not the type to lay down and die I pick myself up and be the best I can be.

8. mrdot

mrdot Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2015
    OH
    I failed my first time. Blame it on nerves. Easier on the pride!

DJ Hughes Thanks this.
  9. Wild Murphy

Wild Murphy HAPPY TRUCK DRIVER

Mar 25, 2014
    You'll get it.

Puppage Thanks this.
  10. cj

cj Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I would suggest Schneider over thosr other companies

11. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Yeah, but how did you do on the brake test.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.