Texas Workforce WIA Program (CDL School)

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Jarheaddriver, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Endzone

Endzone Light Load Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Just go to any Texas Workforce Solutions office in Houston. Tell them you want to go through the WIA orientation. Tell will tell you when to show up. Some offices can get you through quicker than others.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Endurantknight

Endurantknight Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Fort Worth, TX
    Dragonfly,

I will do my best at answering this question,
    although someone else may need to follow it up for me.

From what I have learned you need to visit your nearest Texas Workforce office.

Make sure you
    1.Pick up a calender informing you of all the class's that they offer.
    2.Attend the WIA orientation and get the preregistration paperwork.
    3.Attend the 3 day workshop.
    4. Speak with a career counselor if you have any questions.

That is all I have completed so far other than
    visiting their office often,
    trying to find other means of employment,
    creating new resumes, updating the Workforce Job search, and obtaining food stamps to be qualified.

From there I do not know but if I can I will post back later of my future endeavors.

BTW for any of you posters that have been on the reenlistment boards,
    I am still trying:biggrin_25523:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  4. pecos50

pecos50 Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Mesquite,Texas
    On the subject of WIA, After the TABE test is done and they receive the score. They will contact the school for them to submit a bid and now waiting for the paperwork to be finished. It is time consuming and frustrating but hang in there

5. Pa geargrinder

Pa geargrinder Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Pa
    If you know where you want to attend school, go there ,see if you can fill out an app or get any kind of interview / get back to the careerlink and get your TABE testing done . The school you are looking to go to will want your TABE results from testing and you will be getting them all on a Roll..

6. stallardjrs

stallardjrs Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2010
    I see this is a fairly old thread but any help with this would be appreceiated. Couple of questions. I'm looking into the WIA in my state(Georgia)and will be going to talk with the recruiter from the school in my area that participates at the DOL tomorrow. Most important I know they say they will get you hired after training, but as we all know there is no gaurantee. What happens if you don't get hired? Does the school just take the money and run? Am I responsible for repaying the money if I'm not hired? Seems like there are some shady outfits out there that are just taking the money and running and finding any way they can not to get someone hired or running them off. The school I am in question about by the way is Roadmasters out of Jacksonville. I live in Georgia but the guy comes up here to the Brunswick office every Thursday and does interviews and qualifies prospective applicants. I know I will probably get answers from this guy tomorrow but I would like some straight answers from people who have actually been through it. I've talked to a couple companies that do their own training and they aren't the typical bottom feeders but you do have to work for them for a year. I have never heard anything bad about either one of them so I could probably hack it with them. Training is three weeks then OTR with a trainer. I really neeed to go to work.

7. Wanna drive

Wanna drive Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Lancaster, Ky
    Thanks ffor the info. I'm currently looking into the WIA program here in KY. Hope it's easier here than there. But with all Gov. programs there are hoops to jump through.

8. Endurantknight

Aug 19, 2010
    Fort Worth, TX
    Most important I know they say they will get you hired after training, but as we all know there is no gaurantee. What happens if you don't get hired? Does the school just take the money and run? Am I responsible for repaying the money if I'm not hired? Seems like there are some shady outfits?
    I would say all these are very important questions that would need answers.
    But what happens if those questions never get answered the way you want?
    Personally, think of the money the state is applying for your schooling and if you would like to go to school for what it is you maybe learning.

If the state does not want educated people in the driver's seat they will not be there.

And if all else fails and they truely need to be, do your best.

Keep us posted I am also :biggrin_25510:trying through the WIA program as well and will try to go through the state since it is where the funding is coming from.

9. pecos50

pecos50 Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Mesquite,Texas
    I've finished my training through the WIA program. The program begins with the state but it is the Feds money. We paid taxes on this type of funding before we lost our jobs so we are getting some of that back using WIA. I have not been instructed to pay back anything, during training I made many applications with carriers and received two offers. I'm from Texas and graduated on September 24, 2010. One other thing, ask if under the WIA program will you receive a daily meal allowance. I didn't get one but I know other classmates did. Hope to see you out there soon

10. walstib

walstib Darkstar

I am scheduled to start class on Oct 4th and just got off the phone with the WIA rep telling me my funds were JUST approved, Woohoo..I started the process on August 27th...

11. Endurantknight

Aug 19, 2010
    Fort Worth, TX
    Thought I would continue this thread since it is where I began.

I wanted to apologize for my spelling and bad sentence placement.
    -Strange spelling goes out the window when there is no spell checker-

My 2nd post was simply a means to have others maybe think about what they would actually like about their job(I know that's a crazy thought).

Right now I have attained a bid through C-1 trucking,
    and at my visit to the school brought my summary of requisite completions.
    I can say at my initial visit it was not what I would generally think of as a professional group of people.

I was also asked to check through craig's list for possible job placements after schooling.Is this normal?

Also I wanted to ask if anyone might know how to go about getting a school that maybe a little more professional without being OVERLY anal?

Having a past with the military has caused certain requirements so to speak, or to feel a need for.

-slight problem,after 4 years of service I did not leave on good terms although for the majority of it I would have considered myself a good marine.
    -I love military life and thinking and am trying to find a way to continue it here in the civilian, without being mistaken as such.

So basically looking for a place that has military ideals or at least something more professional or more my age(33).

I appreciate your assistance and would ask that only seasoned rep's respond.

Thanks
    knight_vigilant@yahoo.com

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.