Thanks for being here!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by BolloxReader, Apr 30, 2016.

1. BolloxReader

BolloxReader Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Indiana
    Hi. I was on here years ago when I was researching who to start out with when I got my CDL. I don't even recall if I actually registered at the time or just lurked anonymously.

I ended up ditching my training company after 45 days since they couldn't be bothered to fix the truck they assigned me. Lacking enough experience to go elsewhere in big rigs I ended up driving a straight truck and expediting. I've actually enjoyed the last 5+ years. Now I'm moving into the next stage. I married into a family of truckers a couple years back and my brother in law and I are puting together our own company together. Lots of people don't make it as O/Os and I look at so many companies and think "I can do better, I can keep people happier and cut out so much stress."

I have been reading up on a lot of threads here last couple of months, some of them have been active for years. It's always cheaper to learn from the mistakes of others and it is really useful to see how things have changed in the past few years. This website really is an incredible resource. Thanks to everyone who shares their knowledge with those of us who are in transition.

This handle is one I use elsewhere on the internet. I will probably ask them to change it once I come up with something more appropriate. I didn't even realize this email had an account here until tonite.

d o g Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    No problem. It's my Facebook fix - for several reasons -

• It doesn't poke me
    • It doesn't want me to farm
    • I don't get annoyed from people in my past that are in my past for a reason
    • It is moderated - so if you're an egg, you'll get cracked.
    • Information I post may actually be of use to others, unlike pictures of what I eat or my cat.
    • It doesn't snoop through my phone and suggest things to sell me.
    • Zuckerburg doesn't know what a truck is.
    Glad you've used the forum to help your endeavors.

4. wstar2003

wstar2003 Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2013
    I wish you guys all the luck in the world. Please be advised your are in violation of the first rule of business. "Never do business with your family".:)

5. BolloxReader

BolloxReader Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Indiana
    Yeah I've heard that :) They are a multigenerational trucking family that never made the leap to independent O/O but with ambitions of having a big company. I'm an entrepreneur by inclination, came to trucking after closing my insurance business down because I came to loathe the industry so much. There are two types of insurance companies: those that have screwed you, and those who have not screwed you yet. My mentor had a 5 year case against his employer for not paying medical bills. 5 years of creditors trashing his credit until finally the company settled just before the court date and paid off those bills. And he continued with them for another 15 years because that is just how the business is, nothing personal.

So while I am not a lifer out here on the road I bring a lot of other skills that work with my in-laws. Really I am very excited because we already have brokers wanting to deal with us due to my BILs being ###### good at service and chatting people up. We're building ourselves to make everything as seamless as possible for our customers and keeping third parties from hassling our drivers while they try to sleep. And the brokers really appreciate that approach.

I could go on for hours. I might just start a "Rambling with BolloxReader" podcast about the industry and crap. Too bad running expedite seems to kill anything that requires a steady schedule and a solid internet connection.

6. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    SADLY & UNFORTUNATELY, there is a lot of truth to that statement.

This also applies working as employees for a particular employer. When family members work for the same employer or the same company, all too often there is a lot of friction among the family members after working hours and on week-ends.

Sometimes being too close to one another is worse than being too far away from one another. Family owned businesses often have this problem.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.