The best open deck tool I have ever used. @Pipe40 you will love this.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by cnsper, Sep 5, 2015.

1. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    This is the best tool I have ever used while pulling open decks. Moves concrete pipe very easily. Moves other items with very little effort. When you need to adjust the neck of the RGN to get the pin to lock, there is nothing easier than this bar.

Not a lot of places carry these so you may have to order it. Watch out for the pricing too because I have seen them from $149 to $69. I ordered mine through Home Depot and had it delivered to the store. This bar is made by Klein Tools if you are worried about the quality and is 55.5" long so you have lots of leverage.

@Pipe40 you are going to love this thing for moving that concrete pipe so they are all touching. Very little effort needed because of the leverage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hurst, MJ1657, rank and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lots of character

lots of character Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2015
    I love those bars. When I did concrete sometimes we'd have to remove the dobys that hold the rebar up for slabs so the laser screte could do its thing without bending the bar. Effortless process.

4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Fontaine RGNs are a bit of a trick to get back together, but with a Talbert you don't really need that. :)

5. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Please expand on that?

6. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    We have worn out cozads

7. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, it's been a while. But if you look at the area where the gooseneck meets the deck, you'll see an area shaped like a "V", the concept being somewhat similar to a fifth wheel, which helps guide the gooseneck into place. On Talberts, this is wider.

Also, Fontaine decks rest on hooks down in the bottom of the gooseneck. On a Talbert, where those would be you have two large tapered pins that point forward and go in holes near the bottom of the gooseneck.

One good thing about a Fontaine is on top of the gooseneck there is mechanism similar to a ratchet cam that allows you to adjust ride height, which is good if you drive a spring ride.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  8. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Several other companies use a similar ride height adjustment like that Dynaweld, Landoll, and Etnyre leap to mind. I pulled an Etnyre for a while I hated that trailer except for the ride height adjustment. I'm a Talbert man but their blocks can be a pain, my neck it getting worn a little and yesterday I was turning on the street to our local Cat dealer with a 349 on the gooseneck popped and spit both shim blocks off in the street, sheared off the hairpin clips lickity split. There is an update for the shim blocks that's a welded on teardrop kind of a thing, we have them on the shelf but never put them on. Anyway (I got sidetracked) a couple years ago at the Mid America Truck show in Louisville they had a 55 to Talbert just like mine on display but it had the height adjustment like a Fontaine. I didn't ask them about it I just figured it was their new thing, but now I can't find hide nor hair about that setup. I think that would be an improvement on a already good trailer.

9. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Yes it would.

The one you found must be some sort of demo model.

10. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    I figured it might have been a demo, that was at the MATS 2014 the one they had this year was a standard one like mine with the air retractable pins. Next year I'll ask them about it.

11. Pipe 40

Pipe 40 Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Toowoomba Queensland
    Looks really great, wonder if I will be able to find one

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.