The best Truck Driver GPS

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by EasyMoney025, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    For some reason I doubt this is true. Tom Tom has a number of long term OEM contracts.
    If you would, please post a link to this announcement.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
  4. snowman01

snowman01 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    I heard this on the Kim Komando Tech Show this weekend. She is nationwide and syndicated and pretty much gets all the info so I'm sure she is correct in this. I would shy away from Tom Tom to be safe. There are far too many other good GPS units out there to be stuck with an orphan.

5. snowman01

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    After researching the units I bought (well suggested to my girlfriend as a great christmas present) a Rand Mcnally 500. I got a re-conditioned one at an outlet sight online for about $110. So far it seems pretty good. Places I've punched in have been accurate but some of the roads that I travel have been re-rated as truck routes due to replaced bridges and the unit still says that they are restricted and tries to send me the long way around. I don't really consider this a flaw as the suggested directions by the unit are still good and would do the job if I didn't know the area and roads. It has not sent me onto a non-truck route yet.
    Some of the features like the auto-logging I don't need as we use paper logs but they would come in handy as a reminder if I was running distance and not paying attention to the time I had been driving.
    I find the 5 inch display plenty big enough and can't think of a reason I would want a 7 inch. That would be too big and distracting, imho.
    GPS lock on is quick and steady.
    The feature of showing how far to the next turn, direction of the turn then a small icon under that showing the one after the next turn is great. It gives you an idea of what you are going to do after the next turn and gets you ready.
    So far I like the unit and can recommend it.

6. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
  7. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Anytime you find a road/bridge that has been re-rated by all means let Rand know so that we can update also. It may take up to a year or it may slip through the cracks paperwork wise.

Thanks,
    mark

8. fordfan17

fordfan17 Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Homer City, Pa
    That was the first GPS I bought.It was terrible in the North East(NyCity,Jersey,Baltimore,DC.,Ect)I kept it until one day i decided to clean the screen, I sprayed it with Windex, wiped it off , and that solved my problem,It never worked again. I replaced it with a Garmin Nuvi and it works great.:biggrin_25525:

9. snowman01

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    I will, Mark. I just havn't read the instructions on how to do the update to Rand McNally yet. I talked to another driver last night who had bought a 710 for Christmas and he loved it. Nothing but good things to say about it.

Mark Kling Thanks this.
  10. 44rolling

44rolling Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Sandy, Utah
    I second that. The 500 is great!

Mark Kling Thanks this.
  11. richmarx

richmarx Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2012
    I have the cobra 7750 and it is the worthless piece of crap I ever owned it cant find the house numbers alot of the time and take you a longer way around it should not be sold on the market its just a screwing your getting if you buy it I,am a trucker and it sits in my closet call me if you really want to know how I feel 207-649-3950 cobra says they cant fix it I sent it to them dont buy it it sucks I would wipe my butt with it but it might scratch me

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.