The Cdl School (Miami)

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Alexander2234, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Alexander2234

Alexander2234 Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Hey everyone. I'm new to the forums here, and wanted to ask a couple questions about this school I'm currently looking into.

Let me post some of their information first.

Basically I have two questions for anyone who may be experienced with this school.

1. Has anyone on here actually graduated from this school (and if I'm going to be specific about which branch, the Miami branch), and ended up working for one of the companies that they've supposedly pre-hired you with before even starting your training?

2. This question sort of repeats the end of the first question. Is their pre-hiring promise (I use that word as loosely as possibly) actually to be trusted? Will I have a job waiting for me after classes with one of the companies they're partnered with? From what I've seen and experienced so far, I'm guessing the answer is no.

This whole thing just seems off. From the day I walked in, I just had this feeling of... bleh. It doesn't help their case that no one answers their #### phones at the office when I call, and even my "professional" representative has failed to answer his phone on multiple occasions. If I hadn't been persistent in calling both the office and his mobile, I wouldn't have found out the time for an orientation today. Oh, and you gotta love it when you leave someone a voice message that they never get back to.

Honestly if I hadn't made a down payment for the classes already, I would have packed up and walked out the door backwards flashing double middle fingers. Even then.. I'm tempted to go through the trouble of disputing the transaction I made with them, just to avoid having to deal with this amazing level of unprofessionalism.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Pre-hire only means the companies recognize the school and sometimes recruit from it.
    Doesn't matter which companies the school partners with, you can apply anywhere you want.
    Sometimes the companies that pre-hire are the mega companies so it doesn't mean much.
    Make some phone calls to companies you're interested in and submit applications during the first week of CDL school.
    With the phone calls, ask if they recruit/hire from the school.

Here's some good starter companies; maybe not ones you'll make a career with, but OK to get started.
    If you like any of these, submit an application and follow with a phone call. Or call first and ask if they recruit/hire from the school.

Armellini Express
    Florida Beauty Express - best paying, but you earn every penny. Make about $1700.00 or more gross weekly. West coast runs back to back. Based in Miami.
    Roehl Transport
    Conway
    Abilene Motor Express - excellent reputation and lots of drivers from Florida.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    TruckingCutie88 Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I looked at the website. Go with the 160 hr. program.
    Most companies want at least 160 hr. school for Class-8 trucks (18 wheelers)

Which companies do they partner with?

5. Alexander2234

Aug 1, 2015
    Hi Chinatown, thanks for the reply and information.

They're supposedly partnered with Werner, Stevens Transport, AMA Transport, and Con-way I believe... I'm not 100% sure on Con-way tbh, I can't remember that well.

Yeah, I actually am signed up for the 160 hr. program, as I'm interested in obtaining a class-A CDL.

Allow me to ask a specific question to you, since you seem to be knowledgeable about the way these things work. The way I found out about this school at all was actually through a recruiter for Covenant. Their email mentioned that I should attend one of their orientations after I complete the course. The lady I spoke to over the phone told me that these orientations can basically be viewed as a job offer. Does this sound correct to you?

I will be poking around as you suggested, and call up several companies (including the ones you mentioned) to see what I can find out.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    As to the Covenant offer, yes it's a job offer, but a very basic offer. The offer is contingent upon successful completion of the school, drug test, approval of application and road test. This is known as a pre-hire.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's more to check out:
    Safer Transportation
    Midwest-coast Transport
    Southeastern Freight Lines

8. Alexander2234

Aug 1, 2015
    Thanks again for the information, Chinatown. I'll check those guys out as well.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. trucko

trucko Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2015
    I graduate Miami truck school

I will tell you my experience.

1. I really learned driving a truck, I feel truck, know all necessary maneuvers that driver needs to know. they really taught me good. also it depends on person. I learned everything and was ready for exam in 5 days and I passed all exam at first attempt. However there were people who needed at least 15 days of training. it totally depends on how technical guy you are and how well trainer explains, there are some trainers who don't speak English and just scream when you ##** up truck, io is the most spread word there. It is all about angle degrees and measures if you are good at Maths and are logical person in general then you will learn it easily

2. you will have to really fight to get truck. they have lot of guys and limited number of trucks, so to gain access to training is really hard you will have to fight with trainer not to forget your name or not to prioritize someone else who is after you in queue. So you should stay awake and get as much training as possible otherwise you will just watch and no one will let you drive

3. They lose documents easily, mess up names and be careful control how your papers are treated. document flow really sucks there. It is like Soviet Union in America. Ridiculous handling of paperwork. Shame on them, absolutely insane, you will have to watch your paperwork all the time, go to the same office for 5 times to get simple paperwork done.

This is what I can tell you, but I got my CDL in 10 days after training with them

TruckingCutie88 and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @ trucko : Have you submitted job applications?

11. Airwolf3436

Airwolf3436 Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2015
    I have to disagree with you on going to a 160 school. That is not enough time for someone to learn how to drive a truck. A 160 course is good for a refresher and that's about it. I worked for one of those schools one time and I saw how bad it really was from the inside. I didn't stay there long after I saw a payoff to a DMV official. I also know other people that work for other 4 week private schools and they have the same stuff going on i am told by people that work there. I have 20 years OTR and 19 years teaching truck driving. The least expensive school in the nation is in NC. Sampson Community College has a 350 hour program that not only teaches driving but what goes along with it. These private 4 week schools are considered by the trucking industry as "CDL mills". The better companies will not even consider hiring from those places.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.