The journey begins - purchased a truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by blairandgretchen, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    My thoughts and opinions on buying older trucks. May not be worth much but nobody is paying me.

If ten people on here were to but a truck with close to a million miles on it there would be 10 different stories about repairs and cost. It could be the best used truck ever or it could throw a rod thru the block on the way home, no way to tell what is going to happen.Older truck require fixing things that you don't normally think of, like bushing, brake pedals,brake valves even the ECMs, most have a memory battery that won't last forever.

Before you buy a truck try to find a independant shop near home that you think you can trust, 80-90 a hour is way better than 125 a hr at the dealer. The dealer mechanic may be a 30 year veteran or the kid just off the street, you get no choice. My truck gets worked on by one of 2 mechanics, depending on the job, only one touches the motor. They know my truck and I can call anytime and get help. This can take time to do but it will save you money on the long run. I have seen more than one owner screwed over and bankrupt by a dealer, Know you truck , don't just take it in and say fix it, ask lots of question and get second opinions.

When you fix something fix it right, no short cuts, when things are apart see what new parts can go back in without more labor.

Buying a truck trust no one. Think of truck salesmen as used car salesman, they are no different. They say fresh overhaul you say by who and why. They have papers, check the serial numbers, many identical trucks have had the same overhaul thanks to a copy machine. Try to look at trade in trucks before they go to the detail shop, I was in a local truck detail shop and they were regrooving tires, legal yes, BUT, not on my truck.

There are many trucks for sale by owner and you would be surprised how many have sunk a lot of money into a truck then sell, (landstar.com has a for sale by owner section)
    I bought my truck from the owner in KS, I went to his home and shop, you can learn a lot by looking around their place.

By the truck you need for your job, don't get something thinking you can make changes later. You can change from a 10 to a 13 but expect to get hit extra on the core charge, dealer has new caps on the drives, they look good but are worthless, make a deal for new tires or walk.

Cash is king, many 15 - 20 K trucks are hard to sell because of financing and the people that want them have poor credit, Offer low and work your way up, find out the cost to fix the things that aren't working, You can figure 1K for the AC, if signs of wheel seal leaking it could be a few hundred to a lot more if the cause is wheel bearings. APU's can be expensive to fix.Pop the dash open and see if the wiring has been cut and spliced or other wiring on the truck looks like it has been messed with, if you find a mess, walk away, you may never get it straightened out.

You business model should include enough income to pay for a new truck, if you have to keep playing with numbers to sorta make it work, it won't.Running on a mileage rate is dumb, you get the same amount as the guy that's been there 10 years, you need to work where there is opportunity to make more as you learn the business. Remember .95 a mile is .95 a mile no mater who is writing the checks, there is a limit to what you can earn, you can only run so many miles a week, if you get behind you can't catch up. There are legal flatbed and van loads out here everyday going coast to coast for 3-5 dollars a mile, you job is to associate you self with the people or companies that have it and will trust you with it.

More latter. Come on in the waters fine.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    well said Old Man....

It is true, some wisdom does come with age.. and I thought all you old cats just got uglier with age... Hmmmm

:biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559:

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  4. scottlav46

scottlav46 Road Train Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Escanaba, MI
    Awesome post chief. Sums it up nicely. I'm a gettin my bathing suit on lol

mp4694330 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  5. crazyjack

crazyjack Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Very well said lad. Thank you.

mp4694330 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    [QUOTE="whoopNride, post: 4696414, member: 13415time said Old Man....

It is true, some wisdom does come with age.. and I thought all you old cats just got uglier with age... Hmmmm

:biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559:[/QUOTE]
    Had to beat the girls off him with a stick
    last time i saw him - drives a Pete you see . . .

7. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Had to beat the girls off him with a stick
    last time i saw him - drives a Pete you see . . .[/QUOTE]

I drive a real truck, no plastic.

8. hawkjr

hawkjr Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Virginia
    I thought about this post yesterday when I checked my settlement, apparently it was about a few hundreds higher than what it should of been.

Reason was? And LJ agent got me an unloading fee for $300 for a load 3 months ago, can you imagine that?? And I'll agree, most of the time an LJ agent aint worth a fart to deal with but this was neat...

9. Bill51

Bill51 Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Very much enjoying this thread. Thanks for sharing your journey.

"The Japanese perform 90% research and planning, and 10% actual work"

That got a chuckle since I'm sitting in Yokohama while reading this.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Does a "hotsie bath" count as work?

truckon Thanks this.
  11. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Well, where did we get to?

I managed to get out of E-town to KC, and dropped down to the house for a day, left back to E-town on Saturday. Did my Sunday KC run, but on the way they changed the Tuesday to a Bellevue, and cancelled the Thursday KC, after I had realised I would be short on hours and cancelled the Saturday run I had scheduled.

Waited about 4 hours on the Bellevue, delivered it today, and got a message saying the BV-KC had cancelled.

The ET-BV-KC pays well, because it's a roundtrip rate on a one way. The naked frames get painted in BV, or Owensboro, and must therefore carry on to KC or Dearborn. Second time that one has turned to crud.

So, I guess I'll go back to ET for the tepid return rate. I've been looking for freight out of here back toward home - cheap heavy junk they want tarped for nothing, or hold on the trailer for the weekend, or the famous LJ agents (who I had fun with today - 60 foot long out of KC for $3/mile !)

Either way, I'm headed home. 2 attempts at Cummins engine shops for a look at the injectors failed, KC backed up for 2 weeks, Toledo for 2 days. Joplin could have got me in today, they'll take me Monday. I'll take the Cummins shop at $108/hour over the independent shop for 100k/1 year warranty at any dealer. I'm still not totally thrilled with my independent shop - I don't care what the hourly rate is - I've yet to see $80/hour skills at work - anywhere.

Payroll caught up with itself, the TONU turned up as promised, some FSC's that were short re-appeared, and Sundays KC run went in, though way past the cutoff. The tires are still LCAPPing their way out of the checks slowly - still managed to pull $5700 in. Had hoped this week would run smoother, but until the painting line at Etown (now up and running but suffering teething trouble) is resolved, it'll continue to be messy.

Almost time for the end of the month accounting - glad to say I'm still afloat after 5 months at it. I told the neighbors - "If it goes well, you'll see a new Vette in the drive - if not, you'll see a U-haul" - looks like I found a middle ground.

There's an odd psychological pressure of being the primary breadwinner now, and the pressure of the truck repairs. The latter was alleviated by talking to others and hearing absolute horror stories of repairs, missing their kids being born - thrown con-rods on just-purchased trucks . . . my story is pretty mild in comparison. The CFO says she'll tell me if we're in trouble. Right now the bills are paid, the trailer is ahead, the credit cards are cleared and there's still some leftover - so we're good.

stwik, Grijon, icsheeple and 9 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.