The journey begins - purchased a truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by blairandgretchen, Dec 10, 2014.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    August -

Came and went. I was surprised to find that when I emptied my folder of reciepts, that it was near empty in the 'maintenance' slot. After a hefty June and July this was a welcome sight.

I only got to enter my expenses for the month, the site was having hiccups at 2 am in the morning - and the operator opted for bed.

Though it's all completely out of context and irrelevant, due to a paperwork delay, and a paperwork advance, 3 runs to KC, and a TONU from 5 weeks ago, todays settlement was $7,800, which is nice to see.

I realised on the way home on Sunday, I hit the milestone of 6 months as an owner operator. 1099 revenue passed the 100k mark last week as well.

So - I celebrated the month of zero maintenance by ordering 3 bypass filters, a fleet air filter, and bought 2 CAC boots and a new top radiator hose and replaced boots and hose before I left today.

The extended drain was interrupted by the front cover replacement in July, so I've yet to hit 20k on the oil. The samples are still coming back really clean for a million miler.

Sat in line for 2 hours at the IRS and paid the $550 2290 - and scanned off to LS. Taxes are starting to irritate me more now - a little indignation at being self employed I guess.

Frames. The plant got up and running after the fire and did well for 2 weeks, then they shut one line down for PM, and as soon as they did, the other line stopped. So back to mini-chaos for a week or two (I missed out on most of this), and they've been back to normal now. The biggest drama seems to be whining drivers taking photos of others not wearing their PPE and snitching on them. They're scheduling a month ahead now, so I'm on a M-W-Sun at 8am, get to sleep at nights, 3300 miles a week $6k to the truck and home. If you need time off you just drop a day or two and inform in advance - works better.

Home is - well, that's a whole 'nutha story. Hanging in there. Both at the anger stage - not sure what stage we get to enjoy after that.

Night all - B.

stwik, Grijon, Ringo1 and 8 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I feel your pain man, my sister got her results today. Scheduled a scan to see if it's spread to her lymph nodes. If not we might get lucky and they can cut it out. If so, well we prep for radiation and pray.

TruckDuo and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  4. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    I just spent 29k on cat platinum overhaul, dropped a valve.

5. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Ouch

6. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Sorry to hear that man. Cancer, I'm assuming?

Aggravating for men - we can fix just about anything, but often times broken bodies are outside our realm.

truckon and TruckDuo Thank this.
  7. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Ouch is right. I've learned the little satisfaction reward of "Well - least I know THAT won't need replacing in the near future" - whilst in the back of my mind thinking "I hope those parts got quality checked coming out of the factory, and my mechanic was paying attention when he installed them".

Did you have enough in the kitty to cover the rebuild?

Orangees Thanks this.
  8. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Congrats on your 6 months as an o/o. I'm going to tell you, with the state of freight right now, getting on those frames was a great decision. I keep bugging Dawn to no avail. I'm sure she'll call me once the snow starts flying. Unless you have a heated shop, get any thing that you want done in the next 6 months scheduled soon. It's the opposite for me, I try to wait for that stuff until winter as its so hot any other time.

icsheeple and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Ya. It's a rare bone cancer. She is 35 and broke her leg and hip three times two years. This last time they saw a tumor in her hip the size of a golf ball.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  10. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    Sorry to hear that Spyder, Hopefully she will good news, and it can be treated.

Prayers,

blade, spyder7723 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  11. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    yep , back rolling for a week

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.