The journey begins - purchased a truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by blairandgretchen, Dec 10, 2014.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Youch skateboardman!! I know the pain that's a hair more than I spent on my platinum it was around $28,000+/-. You obviously had a lot more replaced while they were at it than just the standard inframe. My inframe cost more than the truck was worth but it was my chosen tool to do a job so it had to be done. Of the choices I had at the time it was the least costly, except for saying #### it I quit. Been a little over 3 years now. Feels like a minor hiccup. Did you opt for a 4th year on warranty? I did, paid some extra for it, but think it was money thrown away. We will just have to see though. To be honest I would rather NOT have to use the warranty. No break down is a good one.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    Jeez,I'm going to go back to working on trucks again,now that I'm retired from driving if they're charging that for overhauls.I owned old Cummins inlines my whole life,and overhauled everyone,numerous times in the past 40 years,not a tough job.I know things are a lot more expensive nowadays,but I could inframe overhaul my old NTC 350 I had for 19 years for around 1500. dollars in parts,that price didn't change much either.Liner sets with pistons were less than 600.for all 6.Exchange heads were around 200. a piece,needed 3.Injectors were cheap,gaskets around a 100. plus oil and filters.Price would go up if I needed counterbore repairs or deck resurfaced,but Cummins would come to my shop and do it if needed,fairly reasonable.Times have changed,but for the better?

mp4694330, Father7, MJ1657 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    Had a special on, the 4th year was free

5. Letz4wheel

Letz4wheel Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2015
    This was worth every bit of the time it took to read! Thanks

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  6. CanadianVaquero

CanadianVaquero Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Awesome thread. Read DYs, now yours. Thanks for all the info to everyone!

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    We're all just dummies that didn't (haven't) fallen over - I've tried to keep this honest, inflation and exaggeration helps nobody. Good luck.

mickcuster, icsheeple, slomofo and 5 others Thank this.
  8. CanadianVaquero

CanadianVaquero Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I don't know about dummies, I think you're pretty smart. Will sure help in a year when I decide to jump in too. Hopefully the pool in Canuckistan is warm...

TruckDuo and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  9. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    I've been throwing the idea around of ditching the van for open deck, so I read your thread all over again. What a good read.

I've been researching the securement package I need. Also been on Searchtempest.com looking at complete used packages from those retiring or updating. I'm hoping a complete and decent set will pop up going into winter.

I'd love to see a list of yours or others complete securement inventory. I've been looking for a Merritt box as well. Keeping the elements off the equipment and increased security seems like the best way to go versus the open headache racks.

The right trailer is a whole other monster I'm still tackling. 53 foot combo spread looks like a good route. What are your thoughts about it versus a step deck?

spectacle13 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  10. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    How come I didn't know about this ##### thread!!!!!!!

11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    16 4 inch straps plus a few spares.
    10 2 inch ratchet straps.
    2 portable 4 inch winches
    8 20 ft grade 70 5/16 chain
    4 16ft grade 43 3/8 chain
    8 snap binders
    4 ratchet binders
    12 coil racks
    10 or so pieces of rubber matting
    8 beveled 4x4 dunnage
    4 16x24 tarps
    1 12x12 smoke tarp
    LOTS of edge protectors of all shapes and sizes, steel and plastic
    Enough felt to pad an entire load to save tarps from tears/punctures

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.