The key to the LP or o/o?

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Barbeque, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Barbeque

Barbeque Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Everywhere USA
    Boils down to a couple things. Freight consistency and self management. But it doesn't matter what the freight looks like. If you can't manage yourself right? It will eventually punch you in the face. Living below your means, holding back during the good weeks preparing for the bad. Personally I put 20% off the top of every settlement into an escrow account for breakdowns, short weeks, tolls the extras I buy for my truck. I cook all my meals in the truck. The #### WILL hit the fan. And I prefer not to have it hit me in the face, when it does. And here's a picture of what I cooked in truck in Connecticut this pass Tuesday. BBQ chicken and homemade red beans and rice. IMG_20151110_213204.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Barbeque

Aug 25, 2015
    Everywhere USA
  4. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Be careful now, you speak a truth no one out here wants to hear. I've tried offering the same advice and get called very interesting names because of it. Then you'll be told that you'll be out of Business in no time if you talk crazy like that.

Keep up what you're doing because you'll be in business longer by living that model. I do the same thing and have Nice size savings account and a very nice net profit for the year, so I must be doing something wrong right.

The best quote ever from a financial/business coach is this "if your broke friends and broke people are making fun of you, then you're doing something right"

Barbeque, TruckDuo and BigSky Thank this.
  5. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Here is a whole chicken I cooked in my truck. IMG_20150901_204014047.jpg

Barbeque, Cybercat and TruckDuo Thank this.
  6. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Basically have to be willing to run on a hamster wheel running your tail off while the carrier sucks up over $50,000 to $60,000 dollars of your money every year while patting you on the head. Save up and buy your own truck and run your own numbers, why pay $50,000 a year on top of everything just to do it the way the man says to do it?

CDL CPL and Colt seavers Thank this.
  7. kevc55

kevc55 Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2015
    Watch your cost!!! With any lp program add up all your fixed cost then estimate your varied costs like fuel and others. Then take your net divided by the gross your expecting good to low ball that figure too. You'll get your take home cpm. Try to keep this above 50 cpm and you'll do fine. Don't forget to save for a rainy day they ALWAYS come.

8. Barbeque

Aug 25, 2015
    Everywhere USA
    Right on..... Thanks

9. Barbeque

Aug 25, 2015
    Everywhere USA
    I average 20k+ gross a month. Clearing 2k a week not counting the 2 escrows that I decided to put back. I run what I want, where I want and when I want. I take it easy on my own truck as I did every company truck I was ever in. I have zero debt besides the truck. And that's with having 2 teenagers in the house.

Anyone with any financial sense knows living below your means will keep you from not having any means later. Would I like a $500 CB for example? Sure. But just because I can afford it doesn't mean I should.

It's passed good economics. Is just good old school common sense.

Cybercat Thanks this.
  10. Barbeque

Aug 25, 2015
    Everywhere USA
    And talking about a hamster wheel? We're all running that wheel. Unless your pulling from the government tit.

reefer75 Thanks this.
  11. Barbeque

Aug 25, 2015
    Everywhere USA
    My 20% escrow and my PM escrow I have pulled out has that covered. My wife claims zero on her taxes to help offset the taxes. Plus there's so many tax write offs it's crazy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.