The pickup truck and flatbed. Dying trend?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by 6wheeler, Sep 17, 2016.

1. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    A couple of years ago they were everywhere. I think that show on uShip has something to do with it.

But now I hardly see many pickup truck flatbed trailer setups anymore.

Ran a large trackhoe bucket this week, and got a fair price of $500 on a 100 miles which got me thinking how much one of those guys would have loved to done that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Spyke

Spyke Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Had a guy test with me on friday that does it, way he tells it this is working well for him. I want to do this too when I figure out which end of a truck goes up.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's not dying where we are. There are some who make a fair to middling living doing this sort of work. It also helps to have industry that produces the bulky stuff that is not heavy and fit onto a hotshot and trailer nicely. No need for a class 8 flatbed when you can do it just as well with a nice dually pickup 5th wheel deck trailer gooseneck.

Sumnslick Thanks this.
  5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    It's a far cry from a dieing trend. They're still around. All over the place. And going nowhere anytime soon.

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  6. 7seriestv

7seriestv Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2016
    They sure going nowhere soon, they are everywhere, look like it's a great idea right now I'm looking to ad one to my business. They haul anything nd go places we can't go with class 8 trucks

7. teamgreen1

teamgreen1 Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Ive been running hotshots for 3 yrs and the rates were a lot better a year ago. If you are booking loads on loadboards, it can take hours of stalking to find something decent paying over a buck a mile..Im running small hotshots tho, 25 ft, 8-13k hauling capability. The larger one is probably running at about 1.25 all miles recently (1 yr)..smaller one about 1.15..just enough to pay the bills but not exactly killin it. When the rates were a little better, it was closer to 1.50/mile . I really think the long term future of the business though, is about getting direct customers. Its easier to plan , and, should pay more without 40% coming out of many loads...Brokers have two people taking out of the load many times..its the freight broker,and, the agent..a lot fo the time, i see its around 40% of the load..

Ryan S2016 and darthanubis Thank this.
  8. mpow66m

mpow66m Heavy Load Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Northeast
    I see them all over I 81 N,S fron NY to VA.

Ryan S2016 Thanks this.
  9. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I wouldn't mind trying my luck with a diesel 1-ton. Those little Class 3 trucks for the most part get great MPG compared to what you get in a Class 8 tractor and are (a little) cheaper to fix and maintain.

darthanubis and Sumnslick Thank this.
  10. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    . When you get a opportunity get longer trailer.

teamgreen1 and flatbedcarrier Thank this.
  11. teamgreen1

teamgreen1 Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Yes , I realize this would be better, but, ive held off because I still dont have a cdl..Dont do too bad without one, but, definitely want to get one so you can haul more weight. Think my rate per mile would go up enough to justify the other added costs, but, ill do a complete cost analysis before I buy one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.