The Pneumatic Tanker Thread

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Air Cooled, Sep 6, 2016.

1. DMAX66

DMAX66 Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Chicagoland
    Thanks! I also like the green on the Heil trailers. I was hauling PET plastic pellets. Check out these pictures of our companies show truck. The trailer looks really cool. Next time I see it in the yard I will have to get a better picture of the trailer. That is the same truck in both pics. Just different paint jobs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zeviander Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    Wow. What a classic. I can only hope that someday I can drive a rig like that. One of these days I won't have to make so much money (when the kids start school) and can take a pay cut. All of the show like trucks in my area are low paying bc the driver pays for those rigs ultimately. So cool

4. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Nice:biggrin_25525:

5. rbrtwbstr

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    One of my coworkers had a very bad night last week. His truck was in the shop for some repairs, so he used a spare. The spare that he used is a 2015 Coronado with 125000 on the odometer, so it's fairly new.

He goes to deliver his first load of the night and blocks the trailer. He tries unblocking it with no luck. Pop off valve screaming away, the blower gets hot, melts the heat plug. Now he's unable to do anything with it. So he goes to shut down the blower, which has pressure in the hot hose. He flips the switch to turn the pto off, and it stays running. So he does the one thing I've always been told not to do. He pushed the clutch in, stopping the blower instantly. Which wiped out the gears in the pto.

Meanwhile another truck comes along, and tries to finish unloading the trailer, to no avail. Turns out, the check valve on the trailer failed, and would not let air through it. So they call our mechanic, who brings a check valve out at 3am. They get the trailer empty, but now we have a truck still sitting with the pto stuck in gear. So they remove the pto shaft, and drive it home with the pto in gear, grinding away what was left of the gears. Pieces of the pto gears ended up in the transmission, and eventually wiped the transmission out.

So our spare sits awaiting a new pto and transmission.Total bill for all this looks to be around $6500. Needless to say, the boss isn't too happy with my coworker..

Zeviander Thanks this.
  6. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    Oh geez. Well what do you do in that moment? I've had that heat plug melt on me too. Since I'm still new to this, I couldn't figure out why that pop off valve was howling at the blower even though my tank and line pressure were fine. What was up with the check valve? Was it maintained? That really sucks. Another driver told me to apply the brake before engaging the PTO bc it's easier on the transmission. Thoughts on that? I don't see any drivers do that... Maybe bc it requires you to climb back into the cab and put your foot on the brake...

7. rbrtwbstr

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I put the truck in gear before engaging the PTO. That stops the transmission from turning. And I was when disengaging the PTo to just flip the switch to turn it off. The reason I was given was kind of proven in this case. Theory is if there's pressure in the line, and you push the clutch in, the blower will stop very quickly, and cause damage. By just flipping the switch to disengage it, it won't come out of gear until there's no resistance. Which would let the blower slow down gradually.

The check valve was the original one from when it was new in 1999.. So I'd guess it was just it's time to fail

Zeviander and Air Cooled Thank this.
  8. s0231198

s0231198 Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Maybe could've turned key off and would've let everything slow down, not as instant as just pushing clutch in? Or take a couple pieces of rope or string or something and break cam locks loose on hot hose while at a safe distance and then shut down blower?

9. DMAX66

DMAX66 Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Chicagoland
    Maybe your trailers are set up differently than ours but why could he not have just opened the blow down valve to release some of the pressure and then turned off the blower? If my line plugs I always open the blowdown bump the clutch so the blower goes to idle speed, wait for the pressure to go down then shut off the PTO

10. rbrtwbstr

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere

We think when the check valve broke internally, it pushed the flapper inside up against the pipe, which didn't let air through. And the air goes through that check valve before anything else, if that makes sense. So just opening the blowdown wouldn't have released pressure there.

11. DMAX66

DMAX66 Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Chicagoland
    I see, so there was no air even going to the tank. Do you not have a pop off valve on the blower? I would think the pop off on the bower would open right away and he should have shut down the blower right away. If that pop off opens right away you know something's wrong

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.