The Pneumatic Tanker Thread

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Air Cooled, Sep 6, 2016.

1. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Yeah there's a pop off valve on the blower, but I'm guessing it was too much air for it. Makes me wonder if he idled the blower down before pushing the clutch in. I wasn't there to see it all happen, so we're left to guess on those details

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TPS Report

TPS Report Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2016
    I'm not a pneumatic guy but, I'm trying to understand this. The check valve failed closed, which would not allow the PTO to be disengaged do to the pressure on the blower? Is that normal, with pressure in the line the PTO can't be shut off? Just trying to understand.

4. s0231198

s0231198 Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2008
    TPS, It sounds like the check valve flapper broke off and got caught perfectly against back side of housing which would not allow the air to go anywhere besides what was coming out of the pop-off on blower, which usually only goes off after 15-18 psi depending on what psi the pop-off is regulated at. (yes you can get them so they don't go off till higher pressures, but you have to take them apart and do some modifications, which companies frown upon!) so once pressure at idle got below the set psi of pop off no where for air to go.
    And yes you can keep PTO engaged without having the switch engaged as long as you have some back pressure in blower, I have broke an air line off supplying PTO before and as long as could get PTO engaged and blower to start spinning, I could keep it engaged, but once empty and pressure dropped in line from blower, it would kick out.

TPS Report Thanks this.
  5. rbrtwbstr

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    This^^ is about the best explanation. Thank you

4mer trucker and TPS Report Thank this.
  6. TPS Report

TPS Report Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Thanks, so what should he have done? Removed the hot line, just shut off the truck,.....? Anything mechanical/electrical my instinct tells me to shutdown if it doesn't look, sound, or smell right.

7. s0231198

s0231198 Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2008
    That's my thinking, maybe if just shut the truck off maybe would've kept everything meshed together, not sure though. Only other thing I would've attempted bc you don't want to stand next to the hot hose if it's got pressure in it, especially like that bc it will come off very violently, was maybe if had something like a strap an make a loop around hot hose so could control it from just flying up off of connection, and break the cam locks loose from a distance with maybe another strap or rope of whatever could get to get them loose.

TPS Report Thanks this.
  8. rbrtwbstr

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I would have just shut the truck off

9. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    I would've just walked away lololol

LoneCowboy, rbrtwbstr and TPS Report Thank this.
  10. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

I pulled one of my old cement tanks out of the weeds today to run a load out to a rig. #### thing hasn't been pulled in three years I sure hope it will unload.

11. rbrtwbstr

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Good luck! When you say you're going out to a rig, I'm assuming an oil or gas rig? Things picking up in your area on the oil and gas work?

I only ask because allegedly there's going to be some work around these parts this winter.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.