The Proper Way To Leave A Company

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by terryg247, May 26, 2016.

1. terryg247

terryg247 Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I have been with a mega for ten months now and was recruited by another company Now I am curious on the best way to leave without completely burning the bridge.

The company I am headed too has a terminal where I live so no more five hour trips to get to current. Better equipment and of course a better pay package

Thanks for your input

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Put your 2 weeks in, make a resignation letter, clean out the truck, report it to the mechanics, and take pictures

4. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    Disagree. Go on home time. Then AFTER payday call them and tell them you are resigning and ask them where they want you to return the truck.

This is the only way to ensure you don't get screwed around on your last check.

There are dozens of threads on TTR about companies withholding checks for various BS reasons. Don't let it happen to you.

Dave_in_AZ, Milo161, rachi and 4 others Thank this.
  5. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Who are the 2 companies?

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Two weeks notice, clean out truck. Get yourself home.

Once or twice I was recruited away and was in orientation the following week with better pay and everything.

I quit a few, that deserved to be quit suied a few of those for cause and got awarded unemployment. That is not exactly the best way to do it. Settled down into several decent runs locally or otr then.

One I quit happened to be my last outfit after one month after 9-11, the freight was horrendous and there was a number of accidents with the stupid cab over they gave me, I warned them upfront... they took the resignation no problem same day then continued to call me for years until I informed them that Im not suitable material for that work anymore. But it was nice to be wanted.

Dave_in_AZ and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  7. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I'd rather be a bit short on my last check then to have my DAC dinged up. So if this 'new' company doesn't work out, O/P can again, be able to move on, OR go back to original job!!

TROOPER to TRUCKER Thanks this.
  8. terryg247

terryg247 Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    The mega is Schneider The other is based out of Ontario Canada. I have both of my abstracts that are clean. I typically run three weeks out one week off due to distance from terminal. Due to go back Monday

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    I had work for schneider before, I called my fleet manager and told her. I emailed her the resignation letter and gave them 2 weeks. (Or 3 weeks in your case). Empty the truck, and walk in the office and talk to my manager and shook hands with her, dispatcher and safety. I was a trainer too so I said goodbye to a few students, then walk to the shop and said goodbye to the guy who usually working on my truck.

I had a good relationship and never did anything bad. I wasn't a type of driver who complaint, I just do my job.

Maybe if I hated everybody and complaint alot, I would had drop the truck at the front gate and flip them the bird and walk out. Guess depends on how you are as a person

10. Danch

Danch Light Load Member

May 10, 2016
    How do you go about making sure they don't screw you with some false info on your dac about abandoning your truck, failing drug tests, or accidents ect. like I've heard many times on message boards?

11. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    My problem with giving a two week notice is they can route you anywhere they want and even possibly make it so you don't make it to the first day of your next job--maybe even forcing you to abandon a truck somewhere to make it back in time. You're at their complete mercy those last two weeks.

Dave_in_AZ, bigmotor1212 and rachi Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.