The pros and cons Fuel hauling?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Chewbongka, May 30, 2016.

1. Chewbongka

Chewbongka Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2015
    It's not by the load, it's set weekly pay with quarterly bonuses and a very good 401k program.

moloko Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL

Is there a limit on how many hours you can work a week?

4. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    It's a lot of deceptively heavy physical work. Go, go, go every day. It can be a good job, depending who you are.

5. Chewbongka

Chewbongka Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2015
    50 to 60 hours, 10 to 12 hours a day 5 days a week. When I crunched the numbers I'll probably make about $100 less per week then what I am doing now but I can make up that difference in their matching 401k program if I stay there at least one year. I'm willing to take the pay cut upfront if in the longer term pulling tankers pays more than van, flat or reefer as a company driver.

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  6. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    Amen to truck n trailer. I'm in a semi right now-not a fan

7. layover6

layover6 Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2014

8. layover6

layover6 Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Yup been doing this 6 months love it and u can get these truck trailers into any station love those stations in downtown Portland

9. 100445

100445 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    The racks can be a real pain the neck, with allocation and overfill systems. All in all Hauling fuel is a great gig Ive always preferred working with a shotgun though.

10. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    It is indeed a deceptively physical job, however. A fully-charged hose can be over 10 feet long and, completely full of fuel, you have to walk that thing out. We're talking maybe 50-100 pounds of repetitive lifting until every drop of fuel drains out. You can't spill fuel--at least, you can't spill any detectible or noticeable amount without a customer seeing it and panicking or having a discrepancy on your reconciliation (if the latter, you seriously screwed up.) Get a routine and stick to it. Never divert from the routine--when you do this, it will bite you in the butt at some point in the future. Double, triple and quadruple check your compartments and that your load is built properly before you load each compartment. Right product, right account, right station, right tank.

You do little things to prevent HUGE incidents and they become and integral part of your routine, a series of checks and balances if you will. For example, when you are loading at the rack, all empty compartments will have the dust cover off. When you finish loading a compartment and are moving on to the next, take the arm off the one you just loaded, snap it onto the next one to be loaded, and then put the dust cover back on the compartment you just loaded. This will tell you that the compartment is already loaded, and you'll never have to think about it. We have an overfill detection device that looks very uh, primitive. The Scully is a fiber optic light that detects fuel at a certain level in the fuel tank. If triggered--this is contingent on if the scully is even properly grounded--it will shut the rack down, and you'll be in deep doo doo. Back in the day if you overfilled a tank, you were spilling and spraying fuel at 650 gallons per minute. This has , in the past, killed drivers at the rack.

Cross dumps are also something to watch out for. Never drop product by color, always triple-check your product tag on your tanker, trace the line back, and check that you are dropping into the correct tank. Do it 2 or 3 times. Do it 4 or 5 times. Just make sure you're dropping into the right tank immediately before you pull that butterfly valve and start product flow. I am placing special emphasis on tracing your lines immediately before you pull the valve--any distraction between tracing the lines and pulling the valve can result in a spill or a cross-dump.

Chewbongka and rubberducky68 Thank this.
  11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    The heaviest thing I ever lifted was my clipboard.

Cali kid Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.