The real truth about lumper fees.

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by dasilva, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    "you sound like a racist.
    why is it always "rich white boys"?
    i've seen plenty of other races working in those offices-- blacks, latinos, ect...
    im white-- where are all of us "white boys" supposed to go sign up for our cushy office jobs where we just take everyones money and hold them down? please someone lety me know so i can get out of my truck for good!--lol"

I guess you are right in a way, 9Ball. I rarely got to see the office area of a dock, so I missed the fact that blacks, Asians, latinos, whatever, may have been working there. I was denied access to the office at most docks. I had no business being there, sure, but I guess the wearers of the neckties didn't want to have to deal with a lowly truck driver.

Where does the truck driver fall in the pecking order of species in these guys' eyes? I'd guess it's between orangutan and chimp.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Federal Law FORBIDS a shipper/receiver from REQUIRING an operator load/unload his truck, FORBIDS a shipper/receiver from REQUIRING an operator PAY someone else to load/unload his truck.
    Not too lazy, and I definately don't weigh "450 lbs" like you stated in an eariler post. Quite simply, it ISN'T MY JOB.
    It is the responsibility of the shipper/receiver to load/unload their product. No where in my driver's handbook does it say that it is mine.

4. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    The loads I carry, the shippers/receivers I go to never take more than about an hour to load/unload with only a few exceptions. If they do take over two hours, I get paid from the time I arrive to the time I leave, but that doesn't happen often.

5. 2mega

2mega Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Trucking is a very diverse industry....a lot of companies take advantage of a rookies' desire to suceed in trucking by "forcing" him (her) to load (unload.)

They are compensated adequately, when contracting a load, and if they can make the driver unload for sixty or eighty dollars, they are able to pocket the difference.

Other companies employ "mobilized lumpers."

After achieving a skilled driving record, your worth to a company is as a driver and they will leave the loading or onloading to others.

6. easyrider

easyrider Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Cowtown, USA
    Tip what exactly is your point? Are you saying that it's all the "MAN'S" fault? Who cares what race the lumpers are, they all suck.

As far as unloading my truck I do it everyday, it's a part of my job and it's a pain in the butt. I'm mean it's not just the lifting but every time you gotta unstrap and then re-strap, it gets old.

When I was OTR I unloaded my truck when asked. I'll take the extra money plus I can do it faster. My whole goal was to get out off the dock as soon as possible and not worry about somebody waking you up to give your BOLs back or telling you to move. However I can see why people wouldn't want to do it. I don't think their lazy they just don't want to bother with something that the receiver should be doing anyway. It's a matter of principle to some people.

7. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Nice try, but there is a little thing called a contractual obligation. You will do what your employer and their contract states. Again, this is not about force, this is about practicality and money. Many people use the excuse that they are legally not required, this all goes out the window when and if your carrier and the shipper or receiver happen to make an agreement with each other for you to do it. You cannot be forced to do it without a contract.

BUT! The point is that the lumpers were screwing everyone and they are and have been, but that's because the drivers wont (as a majority) unload freight no matter how simple it is. If I was still in the van world, I'd still be unloading freight while everyone else sits there and complains and leave the place with more money. I talk to newbies all the time who's trainers had that attitude, when a new driver is struggling with their low pay, unloading is an easy way to generate a few hundred dollars that would have gone to someone else.. AND a valuable opportunity to learn HOW to unload freight. That is also a dieing art and another reason why people do not do it anymore.

truckerman75103 Thanks this.
  8. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Easy, you should go back and read some of my posts. I think you're confusing me with someone else. I've posted pretty much exactly what you just did over my months here, meaning we see eye to eye on the issue.

You may have to dig a little, as it has been a while since I've posted lumper-related posts at this site.

It doesn't matter what we post. The fact is a lumper must pay a kick-back to somebody. That somebody is either a lumper rep or a big whig inside the dock. Anyone who thinks a lowly lumper takes 200 bones home with him after three hours of labor is somebody who doesn't know how the world works. Yeah, those guys are getting their pockets picked. But who cares? Use 'em to the hilt, ladies and gents.

9. Sabine in Mo

Sabine in Mo Medium Load Member

May 11, 2006
    Fredericktown, MO
    I beg to differ on the certification thing....I got my card for electric jack and forklift, and even with that they won't let you use it.

I am no wimp, but I am not going to sort thru thousands of boxes of product to stack it as they want me to.

10. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Not even if you get paid to do it? And people wonder why the illegals are here.. someone has to work.

truckerman75103 Thanks this.
  11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Good. Let them sort though THEIR product and stack THEIR product how they see fit ... after I've unloaded it ... and after I've left.

KB3MMX and TravR1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.