The sleep apnea scam

Discussion in 'Swift' started by ltwombat, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Nubis13

Nubis13 Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2011
    I'm not defending obesity in the trucking profession but I think that a lot of the problem also is food cost. A hamburger is $1 but a salad is $5. I'm on a strict budget and although I eat whole wheat bread, lean proteins (like turkey breast), and drink tons of water, I know that the lack of veggies is a bad thing. I would love to figure out a way to be able to keep fresh veggies in a cooler without them spoiling do fast or being ruined by water. The only veggies I've been able to get readily have been the potatoes and carrots that I throw in my crockpot with stew meat or beans when I make chili. Only suggestion I have is drink water and do flatbed lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    You could get a 12V cooler - no ice and therefore no water.
    The Coleman is by far the best of 12V coolers.
    I like cottage cheese with fruit, and my Coleman will keep the cottage cheese good for at least a week.

And vegy soup is a good source of vegy's. I always have soup in my truck because soup retains most of the good stuff that is usually lost by cooking.

Nubis13 Thanks this.
  4. Nubis13

Nubis13 Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Moose, my mentor had one and it didn't seem like it kept stuff cool enough. He threw stuff out a lot. My ice chest keeps my meats cold and if I use the wide ziplock bags and double bag stuff stays dry but I like spinach salads and worried about wilting. I eat a lot of tuna salad sandwiches, and grill chicken breast when I can. I make roast, potatoes, and carrots too. I thought a lot of the nutrients were lost when they can soups, not too mention all the sodium?

5. ltwombat

ltwombat Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    My local sleep lab can't get me in until Oct 11 but a local pulmo doc does the at home self test so I did it this weekend. Turned in the equipment yesterday and got my full report today. Actually I did better than my last one but I was 40 lbs heaver then. Anyway, took the report and headed to Bakersfield for my DOT physical. Took 2 hours to get to the doc and he reads the report. Then he says, "how do I know this report is actually you? This could be anyone as no one was there to verify your identity so I can't accept this". I couldn't believe it, he refused to accept the test and sent me home again empty handed. I paid $350 for that test for nothing. He said he will only accept a sleep lab test, nothing else. GD it!! Recruiter said she has no say or pull, I must do whatever the doc wants to pass my physical.

So long story short, if you want to do a at home sleep study make sure they will accept it first before handing over your credit card number.

6. Allan M

Allan M Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2009
    I would have told both the recruiter and the so called doctor where to go a long time ago.
    You're putting yourself through all this aggravation to work for one of the worst trucking companies out there?
    They wont even pass on their fuel discounts to their owner operators and are being sued for their lease purchase agreement.
    Find another company to work for.
    I can't believe there is no where else that you could work.

7. ltwombat

Jun 2, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    Got the call this afternoon that there was a cancellation so I am getting my full sleep center study done tonight then a full reading and appointment with the pulmo doc when the data is finished. So once this hurdle is passed I should be good to pass the darn DOT physical. Maybe I will make my Sept 10 academy appointment!

inkeper Thanks this.
  8. Bullseye

Bullseye Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Calhoun, GA
    I am thinking of going with Swift, but after reading this I do not know. I have sleep apnea and use a C-pap machine myself. I have read that Snieder pays for everything if you need it (machine, test, etc.) and also if you already are on a Cpap machine you just need a statement from your regular doctor that you are doing fine on it and you have to let them read the machine you are using. If I have to pay out of my pocket for a new test and machine I will not be going to swift for sure! I do not have the money! Anybody knows please comment. Thanks! :biggrin_25519:

9. ltwombat

Jun 2, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    Swift has not offered or implied that they will pay anything towards my sleep study or cpap machine/supplies. Snider told me they pay upfront but then payroll deduct to pay off the balance. Snider is a much friendlier cpap company in that they give a 20% idle alotment for cpap users but since I need a full CDL course Snider isn't an option for me.

10. Bullseye

Bullseye Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Calhoun, GA
    Thanks, I need a full cdl course as well. Looks like I am screwed either way.

11. Zen Trucker

Zen Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Looks like I need to start asking questions of the companies I've been applying to. I've been on CPAP every night for 15 years and just got my 4th machine.

Talking to the RT who was setting up my machine and she said the number of people who get a machine and never use it is really high so I understand why they ask for proof you are using it but I can't sleep without it.

I sure hope they didn't delete all the data off my old machine. I sure can't afford another test.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.