The sleep apnea scam

Discussion in 'Swift' started by ltwombat, Aug 5, 2012.

1. ltwombat

ltwombat Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    If the company you sign on to doesn't care where you get the DOT physical you can probably get a pass from one of those truck stop docs. I had to go to Swift's doc at Concentra and he plays by the books 100% (as they probably make him)

Zen Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bullseye

Bullseye Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Calhoun, GA
    I am going to call the recruiter tommorow and ask him. Hopefully, he will be honest about it. Been unemployed since June of 2011 and could not even get a interview with regular jobs around here, only if I wanted to work at McDonald's. I think truck driving is for me and always wanted to. I have tried getting WIA to pay for private truck training for 3 months and all I get is the run-around. I am down to my last few unemployment checks and praying for a miracle. I have no criminal records and have a clean driving record. Have a few pre-hires, but without WIA I am back with the starter companies, which I am ok with, just do not want to get ripped off. I might go postal at this point. lol.

4. ltwombat

Jun 2, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    Let me know what the recruiter tells ya. All mine says is I have to do what ever the doctor requires. She has never given a straight yes or no answer about anything medical

5. ltwombat

Jun 2, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    Well the battle is finally over. I did a new sleep study and waited a week for the results. As I already knew I have severe sleep apnea when sleeping naturally but none when attached to a CPAP. So I took the results back to Concentra today and got a 1 year medical card. He said that every year I will need a 6 month data download report from my CPAP to show compliance then I will get another 1 year card. A PITA for sure but doable at least and no expenses at my CPAP supply place does the download and report as a complimentary service for their customers.

6. Allan M

Allan M Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2009
    I did my DOT Physical today at the Medical Clinic in Jubitz Truck Stop in Portland, OR.
    I was in and out in 30 minutes and only had to show Doctor's letters for my Sleep Apnea and other issues.
    They are registered with FMCSA on the new Doctor's Registry and I was very happy with how I was treated.
    You have much more patience than I do ltwombat.

7. Zen Trucker

Zen Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Glad your ordeal is over!

8. Haystak88

Haystak88 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2012
    FL
    I did my physical two days ago during orientation, and there was no question concerning this. I've heard they question it if you are overweight, which I am, but this wasn't brought up. So, maybe it depends on the doctor or terminal you are assigned to. My physical was over in five minutes, nothing out of the ordinary.

9. Robert 32534

Robert 32534 Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2016
    It wasn't in Pensacola I'll bet no one here passes it all a scam I've been on a cpap sence 2011 and every thing they say happens happened after i got the cpap. except for the heart attack ,I've gained over 40 lbs that I can't get off ,I can't get a good nights sleep , my blood pressure has went up now I on meds. for it all the testing you will pay for out of your pocket except for the first 2 .that say you have to have a sleep study every year but the doctor will not give you one and dot doctor will tell you you need a letter from the Doctor he'll make you take what they call a wakefulness test witch is $600 + and Ins, will not pay for because "There is NO Medical benifit to ether party.I have complained for the last 5 years and the doctor tells me its all in my head so if they Flag you tell them no! not untill there is a law from the DOT that says you have to because I'll bet if you go i again you will get hit .Robert Driver Pensacola Fl ...look up what the Dot really says about it you'll see what I mean ..good Luck .

10. Robert 32534

Robert 32534 Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2016
    your just lucky mine makes me take a wakefulness test before he will sign the paper work and that is 600+ an you are really suppose to have a new Sleep study every year not just a letter from your doctor so your a lucky one the whole cpap thing is just a money making scam anyway I just wish I could find a class action on it and I'd be right on board

11. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    It seems someone needs a good nights sleep.

If it were me going through all that garbage, I would simply find a different line of work.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.