The truth about trucking....

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Sthornton31, Sep 6, 2016.

1. glenn71

glenn71 Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2013
    You're right; I did misread your post. My apologies.

Sthornton31 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Zander

Zander Light Load Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Well said!

Sthornton31, sandralee and 51.50 Thank this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    To simply walk away and look for something better isn't the best way to go about that. Never quit a job until you have another lined up. To do otherwise is asking for trouble.

Some companies may operate in this fashion, but not all are this way. To make this declaration as a blanket statement smacks a bit of sour grapes.

They can't simply not pay you. That's illegal.

There's some truth here, but IMO with the caveat of it being the exception, rather than the norm.

If one cannot better himself, than the responsibility lies with him to see exactly what circumstances he may be able to correct.

Sthornton31 Thanks this.
  5. dogtrucker

dogtrucker Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    I love this job, wish I would have started 20 years ago, I'd be retired now.
    I sometimes still can't believe my good fortune to get paid so well to do such a simple, low stress, low skill, mostly enjoyable job.

Sthornton31 and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. Goothva

Goothva Light Load Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Mansfield, Ohio
    I disagree with you on this. I have been driving since '07, started with Schneider and am currently working two jobs, one trucking, the other is random crap that does sometimes include trucking. I have worked for about a dozen or so trucking companies in this time and half of them terminated my employment. The other half either went out of business due to retirement, lack of freight, DOT issues, or something else. The ones I was fired from, guess why I was fired? Refusing to falsify my logs; refusing to run over hours; refusing to drive when i was tired; or workmans comp retaliation. If you think I am lying about this, let me refer you to the following two threads:

Gypsum Express:
    http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...gypsum-express-llc-aliquippa-terminal.154157/

Performance Food Group:
    http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/threads/pfg-performance-food-group.308137/

Gypsum settled out of court - for the record, I am not making any disparaging remarks about Gypsum, it was the terminal manager who caused the issue.

PFG is pending litigation.

Predator's BS caught up with them and they were forced to go E-Logs, as was R&J. PFG is e-logs, but they still tried to work around it (i have no proof of that, unlike the workmans comp retaliation).

So before you make assumptions about someone, perhaps you should ask strategic questions to get more information. If you take a look at the threads I started (like the ones above) or the one about Golden Hawk, you will notice that I put in specific details. Not everyone writes like I do, but with the right questions, you could get more information out of people and make a better assertion about a person or a company. I refuse to allow someone else dictate the value of my life, and the lives of the other people on the road. If I need to get creative on my log by 15-30 minutes, *I* will weigh the variables and make that call. Not you, not Chinatown, not the moderators, not my wife, and definitely not the dispatcher, terminal manager, or even the owner of a company.

It's *MY* life on the line, not theirs
    it's *MY* license on the line, not theirs

but it's also possible that it's a family member of *YOURS* on the line. Do you want an overhours, fatigued driver pulling 32,000 (we'll say an empty truck/trailer), crossing the zipper, putting your siblings/parents life in danger because their dispatcher told them to drive or get fired?

Guess I'm fired then.

Please see the article I was interviewed for:

http://www.businessinsider.com/amer...tting-squeezed-out-of-their-profession-2014-8

I'm sure you can figure out who I am

7. dryside

dryside Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2016
    if just starting out find a carrier near you so you can leave the truck in their yard and go home when the time comes. ask about meal allowances and hotel rooms when doing a reset so they are paying for your offtime. living on the road is expensive and watching movies in a bunk is no life. you also have to understand that you are a rookie for five years and just about everyone will see how much you can take during that time. you must learn to say NO. if carrier doesn't like your limits move on.

Sthornton31 and 51.50 Thank this.
  8. dryside

dryside Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2016
    all van freight is crap, mercer is one of the best run

Sthornton31 and Rusty Trawler Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Not all of us are fired from 6 jobs. Many people on this forum have problems because they are too hard headed to take advice. For example, we will do some research FOR THEM and maybe recommend Old Dominion, then they post they found the perfect job with CR England and ignored all the advice and probably didn't even research what was recommended.
    Some of us have been very successful in trucking and had very few problems.

Boriqua, MACK E-6, mjd4277 and 6 others Thank this.
  10. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Thank You Chinatown!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    You can lead horses to water, but you can't make them drink.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.