The truth about trucking....

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Sthornton31, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Mullet_Head87

Mullet_Head87 Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Clearwater
    I love this job, it gets crazy sometimes but that's with any job. Only been at it for 3 years but hear all the time "it ain't what it used to be". Could've started when I was in my early 20's when I was 1st interested but I was in the party mode and couldn't imagine being away for so long. That got old pretty quick, also being told I would be in a truck for a couple months with someone u don't know to train with was off putting . Glad I waited with some cash saved up and no attachments at home. I'll be out here until the terminator trucks start taking over.

Sthornton31 and TheDudeAbides Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. superflow

superflow Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Truth is : this job is what you make out of it ....
    For example : me I work M THRU F, $18.25 hrly, OT after 40, paid holidays, home every afternoon and raising my family

There are many options in this field of work but no one is going to hold your hand and guide your foot steps (except the Lord)

The problem is most drivers are not willing to broaden their horizons, so they will usually sit and waller in their own misery and try to blame others for their own bad decisions,.... sure we live in a age where deciefulness and dishonest gain rule over the world we live in but that doesn't mean we are hopeless or that we can not rise above Satan and his toads

Bottom line is : there is a reroute but only a few will choose to take it & while most will choose to sit in traffic & murmur about traffic, that is :until the day comes that bridge collapses from under them and they fall along with many, many others into the depths of everlasting fire very unexpectedly,
    Driver ... Where are you headed ?
    Did anyone give you an eta?
    How are those steer tires?
    Does any one rely on you to get them home safely at the end of this journey ?

Don't lay around in a sleeper thinking about it too much
    .... Today is the day of new beginnings & reroute

PS : I don't want to hear anymore sniffling out of full grown free Americans

Sthornton31 and Lonesome Thank this.
  4. superflow

Jan 2, 2014
    So true....
    Yet I do believe Alot of young drivers don't realize this job requires alot more of them than what the job looks like from the outside
    For many there are alot of unexpected bumps in the road at first like : getting divorced : missing out on being in our children's life : friends that think you are dead : no sex life accept maybe business only ( no talking please) : no normal schedules : lack of rest : lack of security : no hobbies : and doing alot of free work and let's not forget little pay checks to top it off

We must always remember to count the cost before diving into uncertain waters, but this particular field of work can and will be difficult to do so even for veterans of the trade , I've seen many of my friends lose their butts and or lots of hair over buying a truck, ( which is another animal BTW)
    Having the right addittude can be like gold but not so much as being prudent & wise about everything you do and I mean EVERTHING
    No one could sell me a nice shinning midnight blue kenworth if they practicality gave it to me
    .... No thank you very much tho
    Too late for guys like you and me although I have chosen to go to college again , the career I have on my list doesn't pay much in green back but is worth more than silver & gold

Sthornton31 and ramblingman Thank this.
  5. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Millions of threads on fleasing nightmares...sad.
    I like being a company driver at a mega.
    I enjoy earning $200 daily,with O headaches.
    Maybe one day,Ill become greedy,flease a truck,and be super trucker..,,

Sthornton31, 91B20H8 and Friday Thank this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Is this taking management's side?

Or is it acceptance of reality?

This happens because no one is forced to work anywhere. If one doesn't like where they are in life, it is their responsibility to move to whatever greener pastures they can find.

7. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    How did you assume running 24/7 is my life? I punch out of work and I don't worry about tomorrow until I punch back in. Their are those that say "Trucking is a lifestyle, not a job". No, trucking is my job. I don't spend weekends polishing my truck, I don't wear Peterbilt hats, I don't have 379 shaved into the side of my head. People look at me and they think I am an accountant or work in a bank. The point of my post was that there is more money to be made than bumping a dock. Everyone wants to start at a company and day one get all the good runs, big miles, and top pay but they don't want to put in any time to earn it.

Sthornton31, cnsper, Lonesome and 3 others Thank this.
  8. superflow

Jan 2, 2014
    " Oh my gosh "
    ....... I haven't seen any drivers with 379 shaved into the side of their heads.
    I can imagine some rookie drivers will probably go this far
    I figure let them have their thrill and sooner or later they will get tired of spending their weekends shining aluminum rims , that no one looks twice at or the fact that no one is impressed with truck drivers to say the least
    Oh well ....
    I got a kick out of reading this post JUMBO ...
    Thank you for the hilarious thought

Sthornton31 Thanks this.
  9. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    At least hair grows back. You want to bet that there are some 379 tattoos out there?

10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I'll wear a Peterbilt hat if it's a high crown and I start driving one.

Sthornton31 Thanks this.
  11. glenn71

glenn71 Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2013
    No, most people are forced to stay in their jobs due to many things, economic necessity just being one of those. They can't take a chance and walk away to find something better. They simply don't have the financial wherewithal to absorb the losses until something else comes along. So yes, in effect they are forced to work somewhere, usually in the not-so-green pasture that the employer has sown.

That is reality in this day and age.

Companies go out of their way to take advantage of their employees and make sure that they can't retaliate, by holding down wages, lobbying for laws taking away worker protections, discriminatory behavior, or just plain intimidation. That is reality.

It has become very easy in this country for an employer to keep you working for him on the cheap just by threatening to fire you/suspend you/not pay you, every time they want more work out of you. That is reality.

Many are tied to the area they live because of family and financial obligations. Some are tied to their jobs because that is all there is to be offered where they live. Not everyone can just up and move about the planet in search of a better deal. That is reality.

"If you cannot better yourself, you are the one at fault," not only simplistic, but patently false. People are kept from achieving their true potential by many many things, and many of those things they have absolutely no control over. That is reality.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.