There's Oil in my coolant, but no coolant in oil! 2007 VNL670 w ISX

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by UTURNZ, Dec 30, 2014.

1. UTURNZ

UTURNZ Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2014
    Oh, btw for anyone who may be doing this repair in the future. Here are some photos:

Turbo removed - getting ready to remove exhaust manifold.

20150101_112123[1].jpg

Exhaust manifold removed - getting ready to remove EGR cooler & valve.

20150101_125718[1].jpg

EGR bolts out, had trouble getting to come off the block, and getting the hose off of the back end. Picture shows soot covered egr valve in closed position. When the cooler pulled off of the block, I had enough clearance to remove valve from cooler.

20150101_125722[1].jpg

Finally got the oil cooler off. Picture is of oil cooler element still attached to oil cooler housing. Element is coated with oil and coolant.

20150101_180613[1].jpg

I hope these pictures help anyone who might be going through the same thing in the future.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    CSL514 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. UTURNZ

UTURNZ Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2014
    After looking at the pics again photo 3 - the bolts were not yet removed from egr cooler...I thought I had a pic of me struggling to get it off, but I guess I didn't...Oh well

4. UTURNZ

UTURNZ Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2014
    Bad news guys...the radiator shop just called and said the oil cooler and the egr have no leaks. What is the next step here? Thanks for any advice.

5. simon999

simon999 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I recomend you to bring to 'cummins' shop. They should remove oil pan , make preassure in coolant system.

UTURNZ Thanks this.
  6. popcorn169

popcorn169 Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    Does not sound good as simon stated time to get pressure test on coolant system. Sounds like it might be head gasket.

UTURNZ Thanks this.
  7. UTURNZ

UTURNZ Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2014
    When I went to pick up the oil cooler and egr cooler today the guy told me the gaskets broke so he tested it without the gaskets which leads me to believe the test was not accurate, and in fact he may not have tested at all. He didn't charge me, and the cooler still had sludge all over it. From what I've read you are supposed to attach the cooler to a plate along with the original gaskets, and apply air pressure to the cooler while submerging in water. I ordered a replacement cooler kit, and a shop manual for my engine today. I hope I don't offend anyone, but I believe (especially with this engine) it's worth while learning everything about it, and working on it myself. Even if that means more down time while learning. I've heard the horror stories about people who have let shops work on these engines, and how they've thrown big $ parts at problems that never solved the issue. When I install the new cooler I will drop the oil pan, and pressure test the system myself. If there are leaks I will go from there....worst case I'll be doing an inframe myself, but at least I'll have the shop manual to guide me. Every successful O/O I've ever known has stressed to me the importance of working on your own truck, and knowing every thing about it. New oil cooler & gaskets = $220...new 2014 ISX shop manual (backward compatible covering the cm870) - $250...Lessons learned from trial and error - priceless. I don't want to drive all my life - eventually like I'm sure most drivers feel, I'd like to own a fleet. Knowing how to work on those trucks is essential in running a profitable business. I would really like to stress that I do appreciate the advice on taking my truck to Cummins. It's just not something I would be comfortable doing. I wouldn't want to pay someone to do something I'd rather be doing while drinking beer and hanging out with a good buddy who wants to help. I will continue to keep everyone posted as I'm sure someone else will run into this issue in the future, and good guides are hard to find. Thanks for all of the comments and advice.

Johnny-FlipFlop and popcorn169 Thank this.
  8. simon999

simon999 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2014
    The oil cooler is designed that way so if gaskets are broken it will leak outside but not mix together. It mixes only if there holes or cracked cooler core , then oil pushes through the holes to the coolant. You should bring this truck to good shop. And if I were you I would put new oil cooler core and new gaskets so you dont have to worry about oil cooler in future. Then wash coolant system with detergent multiple times. When you start driving you will see if you still have oil in coolant. If there is more and more oil in coolant when you should remove cylinder head and see gasket and liners.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  9. UTURNZ

UTURNZ Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2014
    We're talking about the oil cooler element gaskets. If they were broken oil would most definitely mix with the coolant. The only thing between the oil cooler passages and the inside of the cooler housing is the cooler gasket and the cooler itself.

10. popcorn169

popcorn169 Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    Hope you get it figured out soon. Glad that you are taking the time to learn on your own. I know that it can be frustrating. You can never tell when you take it to a shop anymore they want to throw parts at it and charge you a ridiculous amount of money for it. I am always in the shop asking questions when I am in. I am a company driver and always looking to learn new things.

Hope the manual helps.

11. UTURNZ

UTURNZ Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2014
    Hey forgot to update...It was the oil cooler...Replaced the egr cooler too. Flushed the system with cascade. Dropped the oil pan - pressure tested the coolant system for a couple of hours. No leaks. Thank you to everyone for all of the help.

mrtrdrvr and popcorn169 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.