Thermo King Evolution install

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by sloshed, May 28, 2016.

1. sloshed

sloshed Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Where is a good place to install Thermo King evolutions? I know there is hundreds of service areas but after reading info about Dynasys installs and the reviews of the Houston Thermo King I want to make sure I go to a place that is both knowledgeable and satisfactory in what they do.

Any advice? Please use this thread to share any experiences you may have had with Thermo Kings nationwide both good and bad. Luckily being a trucker means I'm not limited to just one city for installation.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fewe

Fewe Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Arlington, TN
    I had a good experience with Tri-State Thermoking in Memphis. I had an older take-off thermo king tri-pac installed as opposed to an Evolution. I had read good reviews of Tri-State in Nashville and Memphis here but decided to go with an older unit to save money. I don't run California so I didn't need the emissions compliance of the Evolution. Tri-State has locations in Little Rock, AR Memphis, TN and Nashville, TN as well as service centers scattered about.

sloshed Thanks this.
  4. Eeyore05

Eeyore05 Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2015
    'Sconni
    LaCrosse transport refrigeration do ours, no issues I know of. LaCrosse, WI

sloshed Thanks this.
  5. sloshed

Aug 5, 2013
    Awesome.. Did they have any warranty with it? Wonder how much that saved you..

6. sloshed

Aug 5, 2013
    How many do u mean by "ours" ?

7. Eeyore05

Nov 13, 2015
    'Sconni
    Well, roughly 575 trucks. Quite a few are the original tripac, take offs from the trade in trucks. But they also are putting on the evolutions. Ours meaning company trucks, done in our company shop but they send guys up to work on them in our shop.

sloshed Thanks this.
  8. sloshed

Aug 5, 2013
    Does your company go the whole nine yards with the options such as ac power and tying into the coolant to keep it heated?

9. Fewe

Fewe Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Arlington, TN
    90 day warranty on the unit... They install it and do a full service on the unit. Anything that needs to be replaced at the time of install gets changed out at that time. You don't get to pick the unit and the hours vary from 2,500 to 10,000. The one I got was a PTL take-off with 8,500 hours on it. I had to go back to get the bunk heater harness fixed because a wire broke causing the Espar heater to not ignite. The other problem it had was the unit threw an engine code which was caused by the on/off switch on the generator going bad. All problems were covered under warranty without any problems from Tri-State.

As for savings, the unit including the Espar heater was $5,800 installed. A new Evolution would have been $12,000 installed. I had the unit installed with a closed loop cooling system which was a couple of hundred dollars more, on top of the $5,800, but the coolant isn't tied into the truck cooling system so I can run the APU if the main motor goes down. Another advantage is that if the APU springs a leak it won't drain the coolant out of the big motor.

P.S.- The unit came with an 1,800 watt inverter. I ended up swapping it out for a True Sine Wave inverter due to my microwave not liking the Modified Sine Wave inverter.

sloshed Thanks this.
  10. Eeyore05

Nov 13, 2015
    'Sconni
    Yup. They set our trucks up nice.

11. sloshed

Aug 5, 2013
    Since you don't get to pick the unit does the price vary depending on the hours at least? Also with the warranty issues did u take it back to the same place? I am likely going to do the same as far as a closed loop..just makes me uneasy tying in with my motor as well as the points u just stated
    I'm going to do the same thing as far as inverters..Ive learned pure sine wave is the only way to go

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.