Thermo King Evolution install

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by sloshed, May 28, 2016.

1. sloshed

sloshed Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Definitely sounds like it.. And you haven't heard of any issues at all? That's exciting

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eeyore05

Eeyore05 Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2015
    'Sconni
    Some guys prefer the older tripac to the evolution. But that's all I know. They tie in the coolant due to so many in the north, keeps the big motor warm in the winter.

sloshed Thanks this.
  4. sloshed

sloshed Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Ya I don't stay up north enough for that..basically if its that cold I can keep the truck running that night and make do.
    Wonder why the older tripac is preferred.. I had heard looks and control panel but that's it

5. Eeyore05

Eeyore05 Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2015
    'Sconni
    I hear it runs smoother and quieter.

6. Fewe

Fewe Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Arlington, TN
    Same price regardless of the hours... seemed kinda strange to me but it was too good a deal to pass up. I had it installed in Memphis and have gone back there for service. I'm home every weekend so getting it there for service has worked well.

My understanding is much like newer trucks, the emissions equipment on the Evolution has more problems than the older style. Also, the mechanic said that the older units are easier to service...

7. Fewe

Fewe Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Arlington, TN
    I should also add that the downside to Memphis is that they service "first come first served" so you need to be there when they open to get out in a timely manner. No appointments are available and they don't work weekends other than to do installs.

mobilerepairboise Thanks this.
  8. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    You may want to buy your unit in a state that doesn't charge sales tax with a dot number. A 5 to 8% savings is quite a bit on a new unit.

mitmaks Thanks this.
  9. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Last month I got a used tripac on my other truck from Mid-state TK in Doraville, GA. I guess like other TK dealers, used inventory varies. When I got mine they had several 2010 (8-10k hrs) for $6500 and 2011 (4-6k hrs) units for $7000. Some had the factory inverters, some did not, same price - installed out the door. 30 day warranty at the install location only.

I ended up getting one of the 2011's with 5k hrs that had an inverter with it. FYI the TK inverter is a Xantrex Prowatt SW 1800. They did the install in two days, dropped off the truck Wed afternoon and it was ready Friday afternoon. Nice job on the install.

The tripacs on both of my trucks have the coolant tapped into the truck system. There haven't been any problems with that. It is nice to get going on a sub freezing morning and the coolant temp is 100-120ºF on start. They tap into the factory bunk heater hoses. If you're that worried about it, ask them to install shut off valves.

For some crazy reason, I do all the maintenance and repair on my apus myself, so can't comment on the dealer network. Other than to say, I have been to a few TK dealers with my SB-210 reefers and haven't had a bad experience yet. Odds are, with scheduled PMs you may not need much service. 1000 hour PM interval works out to about once a year on my trucks; however, we aren't in them more than 3-4 nights a week. We don't stay out on the road for weeks or months like some do, who might run the unit a lot more.

I wouldn't stress over the unit hours too much. When I bought my truck 3 yrs ago, it had one on it with 24k hours. I had to spend a little to get it right, mainly some a/c lines, bunk heater items, and a rotten muffler. Since then, it's run all 3 years up to 27k hours now. Only recently had an alternator failure. I converted to a (cheaper, higher output) car alternator and changed the bottom case half while doing that, since the old one was about to turn into rust and fall off.

For sure. Just be aware there can be strings attached. In Georgia, that means having a sales tax account, even though an interstate motor carrier doesn't normally collect any. Then you have to provide the ST-5 exemption form to any retailers you buy from. Usually, they will set your company up as a COD account with that tax exempt status attached. @sloshed if you're leased to a carrier, ask them if they have already set up a sales tax exemption with any Thermo King dealers. Might save you some legwork by using ones they already do business with. Other states may be more or less hassle. Good luck.

10. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Other states are easier, if you buy toys at the Joplin petro ask the cashier, give you dot number and your done.

Terry270 and RedForeman Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.