THERMO KING Tri-Pak APU

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by TLGken, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Moneymike

Moneymike Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2013
    No suggestions...sorry BUT i can tell you my local TK dealer (atlanta) charges $104.50 an hour for labor. I just found that out. Got my manual out and hmo controller is F3 a 5 amp fuse. You will love the apu when you get it up snd running.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. richierich723

richierich723 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Lexington Kentucky
    Thanks I'll look for that

4. Moneymike

Moneymike Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Check and make sure its hooked to the battery also. Big thick wire should have a big inline block type fuse. Check that fuse also. Then if not take it to dealer. The fuel savings plus less wear and tear on trk motor will pay you back over time.

richierich723 Thanks this.
  5. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    While you're at it, double check all the wiring in the unit. The vibration from the motor and all the bouncing it takes on the frame plays heck with wires.

richierich723 Thanks this.
  6. Whitey14243

Whitey14243 Medium Load Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Moreland, GA
    Guess we use the same TK dealer there Moneymike.... The one over near Moreland Ave. in Conley?? I haven't had them work on the TriPac there but I have gone in there and purchased maintenance parts for mine. People are ok there but man is that place a hole in the wall!! But what isn't in that area right?!?! LOL

7. Whitey14243

Aug 12, 2010
    Moreland, GA
    Having some issues with my TriPac. I just bought my truck back in April 2013 and it came with a TriPac. Truck is a 2000 model but I'm not sure what the age is on the Tripac. I have 9,700 hours on it. Problem I'm having has to do with the low voltage. If I have the A/C or heat turned on on the tripac it runs great.. But it I turn those off when it's comfortable in the truck like during fall weather, I can roll my windows down and just have fresh air, I still have the power turned on and the APU switched on... When my voltage gets low sometimes the APU kicks on just to charge the batteries and sometimes it won't and then before I know it I have 10.5 volts and then I'm paying for a jump start... Any suggestions on what I can check to be my issue?? Possibly low voltage sensor?? Any input is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  8. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    You have 9700 operating hours on the TriPac. There is a low voltage adjustment in the TriPac controller that can be set higher to turn the engine on sooner.

9. Whitey14243

Aug 12, 2010
    Moreland, GA
    Yes that was suppose to be 9700 hours not miles. Thanks. Suppose I will need to swing thru a TK shop and have them adjust the low voltage setting changed.

10. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    In addition to checking the setting for the low voltage start up, make sure you do not have any broken or corroded wires at the alternator. The harness in that area can be problems.

11. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    It's better to go there than the new shop in Doraville. At least at Conley they still have the old guys in there that's been slinging TK parts forever. Actually helpful for what you have to pay for OE TK parts. I had to piece together some a/c fittings for my apu. After about 5 min on the phone with Doraville, I went to Conley instead. Which is only 25 more miles plus a round trip thru rush hour for me. Apparently the good parts guy at Doraville either quit or was let go right before they moved.

Now that old Doraville location was a hole in the wall! Hopefully the new shop will get their act together. It's a nice place and easier to get to.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.