They all suck!

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Worldnet, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Worldnet

Worldnet Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Atlanta
    I have determined that the entire trucking industry sucks.You have to LOVE driving a truck to put up with the crap this industry pulls on drivers. Its unreal what drivers put up with. No other industry would put up with this kind of crap. The sad part is most drivers know it, and just take it. Again, because they love driving so much. Unfortunately the trucking companies know this all too well, and take advantage of them.

Whiteline64, Upinsmoke, daxus and 46 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    ...and you could probably find 100 others in 100 other fields that would say the same thing about the state of affairs in their chosen profession. My father is a doctor, and I'll guarantee you the medical profession isn't what it was 40, 30, or even 20 years ago.

A lot of it has to do with the area between one's ears. Not all of it, not all the time....but often enough.

4. Cutty1107

Cutty1107 Light Load Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    I agree most companys do suck, esp these bigger carriers! IMHO... you just gotta find your happy niche in this trucking world... Its out there you just have to know what you want and are willing to do to make it happen. You have to know how much BS you wanna put up with! Just like in a marriage ya know.

RookieJ1987, Wade68 and TruckerVinny Thank this.
  5. Maria Joseph

Maria Joseph Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2012
    TN
    I'm sorry to hear that you haven't found the trucking industry to be to your liking. As 48Packard said, there are downsides to pretty much every profession out there and it's essentially a matter of finding a profession that you are passionate enough about to be able to work in so you can not let the downsides outweigh your enthusiasm for it. I've worked in several different careers, and there have been parts which I have loved and parts which I have really disliked. My current career is okay; but there are parts that I really dislike. To be honest, I would be happiest working as a clinical psychologist or as a social worker. I am the sole breadwinner for my family so won't be able to go and get that PhD to be a psychologist so have come to terms with it--I focus on what I enjoy about my job and try to find time to engage in hobbies as a way to release stress from my job (mid-management).

I'm not in trucking/haven't ever driven a truck. I do know that the trucking industry has become very much a "churn and burn" operation and the turnover rate is terrible. At this point, I would probably say to think about how much you enjoy trucking and if you are interested in continuing to drive long-term. Maybe a change from OTR to dedicated route if you can find this?

alds, #1don, x1Heavy and 6 others Thank this.
  6. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    I took a 3-year hiatus from trucking following a divorce. I was in management (different business completely).

Glorified baby-sitting. No thanks. I'll stay in the truck.

Excellent post, Maria Joseph.

7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Is'nt that the truth though.

Wade68 Thanks this.
  8. 1catfish

1catfish Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2010
    trukin does suck, no doubt...

9. Jaguar115

Jaguar115 Heavy Load Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Warsaw, Mo
    Same ol stuff and when you change it's just a different color truck.

10. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    I love driving, its my life.

I don't believe I'm taken advantage of but some companies do take advantage of their drivers, I'll agree with that.

Ethan

fargonaz Thanks this.
  11. MUSTANGGT

MUSTANGGT Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    I challenge you to start taking a job satisfaction survey of everyone you meet at pick-ups and deliveries.

Start with the minimum wage security guards and ask them how much they love their job and how they can't wait to show up at the dingy, unheated shack every night.

Ask the folks at the manufacturing plants how great it is processing chickens or wood pulp or whatever smelly, messy job they have.

Ask a cop how nice it is to be a target for 30k a year or less in some cities.

You probably have it better that you realize or care to admit. I've been doing this long enough to see some unwelcome changes, mainly increased government control and/or interference. But guess what, that is pervasive in all segments of our society. Nobody is picking on us in particular.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.