Thief Hatch... will it kill you in the end ?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Stubby T Slapnutt, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Stubby T Slapnutt

Stubby T Slapnutt Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Google.... Wall Street Journal.....Why did these Oil workers die ? Ever opened a hatch and had your hard hat blown off? Gotten watery eyes, nose run, wheezing, coughing. Ever think maybe a little more protection is in order. Why did I get gassed almost everytime I opened a hatch. Share your stories here, maybe some trick learned can help out a driver. http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-did-these-oil-workers-die-1429664008

dog-c Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Luke628

Luke628 Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    You're supposed to very gently crack it , let the pressure slowly come out. You need both hands to do it right.

Yeah I've seen others get a blast in the face. If you get in too much of a hurry you'll get hurt at some point.

gdyupgal and Stubby T Slapnutt Thank this.
  4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I wear a respirator when working around a dome cover....

Guess witch one has 100 loads on it...

image.jpg

5. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    I have a video some were on my computer were a hatch had so much pressure that when I hit the latch it exploded like a grenade blowing the lid backwards so hard i thought it would rip it off the hinges.
    I'll have to look for that video some were and see if I can find it....

For those who never hauled oil, I will post a video link below of what they are talking about....

We had another guy go blind a work cause a lid blew in his face, tanks were almost over flowing and when he opened it, vapor and condensation came up in his face....

Keep in mind that the burn off at each well site is what is also blowing in your face when you open the hatch...
    People didn't seem to comprehend that when they were new.
    I used to train guys to haul crude and would have to scare the sht out of them to make sure they knew how bad it was.
    Nothing like standing above a 12 inch hole blowing gases in your face that would ignite with the smallest static arc.....
    Really scary stuff if your not careful and some times things go bad when you are careful.....

BTW, you must be subscribed or logged in to read it...

Just copy and paste for us here.

above video is thieving a tank aka sampling or buying oil
    these are the tanks we climb to get to the thief hatch
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    T_Bone, Stubby T Slapnutt and tucker Thank this.
  6. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    sorry about the change of video angles.....and vertical....I didn't know what I was doing with my new ph at the time

7. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    my neck hurts now - lol

8. Stubby T Slapnutt

Jul 20, 2012
    If there is not much pressure, that's a good method, however the majority of wells I go to have extreme amounts of gas in the tanks. When you open one hatch all the tanks will vent through the thief hatch. You know you are in trouble when you pull up open the door, and all the hatches are whistling.

DRTDEVL Thanks this.
  9. Stubby T Slapnutt

Jul 20, 2012
    It's great you are being pro active with you health. Did you do the research on what that respirator protect. I'm not sure it would cover Benzene.

10. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    The documentation from 3M will give you a migraine ......

I was more concerned about H2S and the solids.....

It's obviously stopping some crap from getting in me.

Stubby T Slapnutt Thanks this.
  11. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    George, In your photo I see a pair of VRT's behind the tank.....are you saying these tanks are holding pressure?

If so something is very wrong. On the ground near these towers will be a small skid with a short column and some piping and a couple of electric motors. It should be running. Report the failure to the pumper or owner.

There should be no pressure on this setup.

Stubby T Slapnutt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.