Thieving fuel stealing truck drivers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by codyschmidt, Apr 28, 2013.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I have CC and understand killing someone over theft will get a jail term. Having been the victim of fuel theft before all I can say is if I ever were to catch someone in the act they've got one helluva beating coming.

osokusmc Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JimmyBones

JimmyBones Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Baxley, GA
    Because battery won't get the matching silver bracelets either...

4. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill Heavy Load Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Alberta
    Around here, drivers stealing fuel is a real problem, but not from each other, it's drivers stealing fuel from their employer. Mind you, trucking companies around here don't do much of the long haul, stay in truck stops thing, many are home most nights and those that aren't are usually only out for a few days at a time but fuel theft by employees is a major problem around here and there seem to be little that can be done to prevent/deter it.

5. camaro68

camaro68 Medium Load Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Tennessee
    Why don't they fire them? No company has to put up with employees stealing.

6. eeb

eeb Heavy Load Member

Mar 24, 2013
    "Driver shortage", dude. If they don't steal much at one time, maybe they just blame it on bad fuel economy or something. Might be difficult to pin down who it is, or prove it.

7. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    It's not all that difficult for the larger outfits. Comdata (or whichever fuel card) reports the fuel purchases - and sometimes requires the odometer reading at the fuel stop. Qualcomm reports the stop locations, miles, resets the fuel counter at the fuel stop and reports the ECM mileage. When the stuff doesn't jive, all you have to do is flag the truck, and watch a bit more closely.

8. eeb

eeb Heavy Load Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Didn't sound like the larger outfits to me. Sorry, just tryin' to get in on the fight:)

9. paul 1052

paul 1052 Heavy Load Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Sand Springs, Ok.
    Locking fuel caps dont cost very much compared to what you can lose w/o them.

I knew of people that did that in the 80s and before...theres always been trash in trucking

FLATBED Thanks this.
  10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    A large set of channel locks will make quick work of locking caps. There is no way to stop it if they want it bad enough. yeah they can move on to easier target but some are more determined than others. I suppose from some of the comments in here some owners would actually try verbal resolution to the situation if they caught someone stealing their's lol.

11. Wings2Wheels

Wings2Wheels Medium Load Member

May 3, 2008
    Eastern PA
    He threatened me with a knife the police will find on him. I feared for my life, warned him to stop, and he continued to approach...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.