Thieving fuel stealing truck drivers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by codyschmidt, Apr 28, 2013.

1. old time

old time Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2012

Yep, in 1975 had 140 gallons stolen in Carlyle Pa. After that, chains and lock on my tanks

DoneYourWay Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

He threatened me with a knife the police will find on him. I feared for my life, warned him to stop, and he continued to approach... :biggrin_2559: Might have worked in the past but today Today you get 5 people showing them the VIDEO they made on their CELL phones showing a different story.

4. falcon241073

falcon241073 Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Germantown, TN
    It can still work. Showing the knife in a pocket can be percieved as a threat. Just saying lol.

Sent from somewhere out there

5. JimmyBones

JimmyBones Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Baxley, GA
    Especially in Florida. ;)

6. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

What part about the VIDEO's showing you planting the knife did you not GRASP ?

7. larry_minn

larry_minn Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2012
    IF deadly force is used. Do NOT lie. Its not worth even a POS thief's life to protect fuel. I realize we are talking $800+ bucks.

It is true (like shoplifting) the employee theft it bigger loss. Local owner who runs @ 25 tractors (I have no idea how many trailers) had issues with driver. He would take a truck on multi day trip and Batteries would fail, fuel economy would be terrible at start then dramaticly impove.
    So he follows they driver. (who starts with full truck) Driver stops first truck stop, his buddy meets him and they swap batteries for junkers/boost truck AFTER pumping most fuel out of tanks into pickup with 55 gallon barrels in bed. So it has junker batteries, low on fuel. He does first stop, truck fails to start (duh) so new batteries. The driver keeps putting on fuel as if he is keeping tank topped off (in some ways not stupid ) Most would fill tank at first stop and have it clear tank was drained.... GPS tracking just showed him taking a early break...
    So his buddy put good batteries in HIS OTR truck, fuel, likely some oil, filters.... over time.
    Wound up just letting guy quit. He found it was more trouble then worth to file charges... When asked by other fleets. "He worked for me from this date to this date" "I can't say anything else"
    Least that is what he told me. Even with him seeing the transfer of fuel, batteries, and he had a 2nd person along watching they didn't feel worth charges???

Yrs ago most duals had double bolts. (not what they were actually called) So you could unbolt outside tire and inside tire still bolted to studs. So at 3am guy pounds on sleeper. "Dude I am sorry to wake you, I have to get on road and I can't quite get past your trailer. Could you pull ahead @ 6'?"
    (days when everyone kept trucks running) So half asleep driver pulls ahead "Thats good/ thanks/have a good night"...
    Driver goes back to sleep and the guy who woke him waits a while then takes off outside tire. See he laid down a plank infront of INSIDE duals. As you pulled ahead you drove on plank. Your outside tire is now just a hint off ground. With truck running you don't notice them removing lug nuts/tire. Heck you could wake up, drive off and not even realize you are running only on inside tires.......
    Again This is what I was told by another driver.

8. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    Fixed it for ya :biggrin_2559:

9. 8-j

8-j Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2013
    If it happened to me and I was really mad enough about fuel thievery to do it. ...

I might try to put a fake gas cap on my truck that goes to a fake gas tank (not hooked up to my fuel system), and put sugar in that gas tank.

His truck gets ruined, and if he tries to accuse me of anything..... what's he going to accuse me of?

Better yet, have locks on all 3 gas caps (the third one being the one with the sugar), and leave the third one unlocked - so it looks like I forgot to lock that one or something.

10. 8-j

8-j Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2013
    At my last company I don't think my company payed close enough attention to know how much fuel I was burning anyway. Sure that opens the door for a driver to start selling company gas on the side, but honestly who would do that? They'd have to steal small amounts in order for it to go undetected, and then they'd be risking a stable salary for a marginal bonus income.

11. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    The only way anything would be done about this is if you catch the guy yourself and give him a beating. You could have them on HD video and give it to the police or sheriffs dept and that would be about the end of it. I think the OP said this happened in Baytown, TX. It's not like Harris County Sheriff or Baytown PD is going to go on a manhunt. They'd probably arrest him if he was still there. I live in Harris county and I know firsthand that unless they are caught in the act the chances of this type of property crime being dealt with through the system are virtually zero.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.