Things that go "bump" in the night!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JustSonny, Feb 24, 2010.

1. 94nole

94nole Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2007
    JAX, FL
    Ok, I know I have only been out here about 4 months but I have YET to see any"thing" I would have considered a lot lizard.

Yeah, I've had a couple of guys try to sell me stuff but I just lock my door, shake my head no, and they press on.

I think a lot of the lot lizard stories take place in the old time truck stops in the less desireable areas of the cities and towns that we pass through.

IN MY LIMITED EXPERIENCE...If you limit yourself to MOST Pilots, TAs, Flying J's, Love's, Wilco's, etc. "Travel Centers" (heck, they don't even call them truck stops anymore, they call them Travel Centers), alot of them are new, are right off the interstate highways/freeways, and so well lighted that your more likely to be awakened by the bright parking lot lights than any creepy crawlie that may be trolling a parking lot.

Frankly, I know that this stuff used to be rampant out here but now I think it's more of the old timers who keep this stuff perpetuated or they STILL go to those OLD greasy and sleasy truck stops because they like the life of a REAL trucker.

'Cause you know...we, Newbies are only "wheelholders" according to them.

Gosh, can you imagine what they would say about me if they knew my truck had a 10 speed automatic transmission? I am definitely a "wheelholder".

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
    JustSonny Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MrMustard

MrMustard Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    I just had one knock on my door two nights ago at the Flying J in Lake Station, In, just east of Chicago. They are out there. And with the economy going sour, I expect to see more of it.

JustSonny and simplyred1962 Thank this.
  4. brinkj23

brinkj23 "Asphalt Cowboy"

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Oh trust me the LL's are there, most of them have there pimps sitting around with a cb or try to get a driver to let them use there cb to proposition. Hardly ever see em just door knocking.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  5. simplyred1962

simplyred1962 Betty Boop, One Bodacious Babe!!!

Trust me, 94hole, they ARE still out here...in droves in some places.

You will find, later in your career, with a bit more time behind you, that there are times when you just can't avoid having to park at one of those "OLD greasy spoons", and find that that is NOT where most of the LL business is at.

And if you don't believe these LL's a really out here, I DARE ya to park ANYWHERE at one of the TA's in Ontario, CA overnight!! :biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559:

JustSonny and Texas-Nana Thank this.
  6. 18Wheels&DozenRoses

18Wheels&DozenRoses Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    Can I put a sign in the window,"Warning my dog eats lot lizards?," they don't have to know he is a fat lap dog that would rather lick them then eat them. LOL

JustSonny Thanks this.
  7. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    If he licks them he is liable to go belly up on the pavement...:biggrin_25521:

8. Hubcap

Hubcap Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Rhome Texas
    This is why I miss cabovers....it was easier to open the door knocking the LL off the side of my truck and on her rump. Now we have the step!

Oh how I miss Red Ball.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  9. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    The burning sands of the SW
    I've had someone knock on my truck while I was in the sleeper three times.

#1 at a service plaza on the NJ turnpike. A tow truck driver knocked on my truck and asked if I had called for a tow. When I said no, he pulled up to the next Swift truck and knocked on that one. Guess he didn't bother to get the truck number.

#2 at the Petro in North Little Rock, AR. I didn't answer it, figured it was a LL. I had seen a couple wandering around the lot earlier. They didn't knock twice.

#3 at the Flying J in Smithton, PA. A fellow driver wanted to tell me one of my fuel caps was unscrewed. Not sure what happened there. I know it was on when I did my post trip. My guess is that someone was trying to steal my fuel and was run off before they could get any and didn't put the cap back.

The vast majority of the time you will not be bothered when you are in the sleeper. Now, if you sit up front, you're fair game.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  10. brinkj23

brinkj23 "Asphalt Cowboy"

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Yeah I was gonna say that to. Ive had a couple times where I could see a LL walking down the parking lot an see me in the front and start walking towards me. Every time I would pull the curtains shut an go in back and they would never knock or bother me. But if you're sitting in the front seat jabbing on the mic with the window open you might have someone come up to ya especially if its daytime.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  11. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Road Train Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Retired in Taunton Ma
    I posted this before,but once this really cute chick in a miniskirt kept banging on my door,banging and banging. I finally got sick of it and let her out.:biggrin_25524:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.