Think I have decided swift.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by KriegHund, Nov 6, 2015.

1. KriegHund

KriegHund Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2015
    On a hill south of heaven
    Boils down to the economics. I live just outside of Richmond, Va. While attending school I can be at home at night, won't need to worry about food and lodging. Won't end up paying back a bus ticket and motel. I can pay $995 up front with no obligations to stay. That's also 20 days longer with family and friends before on road with trainer.
    Krieg Hund.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    $995 up front with no obligations is a real good deal.

Pure.Genius and KriegHund Thank this.
  4. harlycharly55

harlycharly55 Medium Load Member

May 5, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Check out ' Doc Watson ' on here, he's been with swift a few years, good stories about his journey, and he is in Virginia, his parents are in Richmond.

KriegHund Thanks this.
  5. MovingMetal

MovingMetal Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2015
    I passed Swifts Richmond academy. What kind of guy are you? A worker or you're lazy? I might be of help. If you're a worker don't go into otr or swift.

6. MovingMetal

Mar 12, 2015
    I work for swift on their toughest most back breaking dedicated account and I top out at 45k 70 hours a week with weekends off which is measly terrible money in the trucking world for my labors. No pay raise nothing. Is no moving up. A 10 year guy makes the same as me. I forgot to mention I also do some of Swifts most difficult driving. I'll be leaving soon so maybe I can help you set you're career straight. I sure as hell wish someone could have given me advice I could give you when I was a rook.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  7. MovingMetal

Mar 12, 2015
    Go into LTL trucking. Old dominion,estes,abf,yrc,yellow,southeasternfl,
    Fedex,ups,conway, all LTL. That's where I'm going and retiring. If you wanna make little money and hold a wheel all day then join swift and do otr. Swift will teach you how to drive a truck and be successful but don't be a fool. They want fools to run for low wages. I really have nothing bad to say about swift besides them not paying me for what I'm worth. All I'm saying is that with my work ethic and personality I will probably pull 60-70k in my first year alone at ltl and probably will be around 80k doing linehaul in my 3rd year. Swift will never pay me that. At most do a year at swift and learn how to drive and figure out what you want to do. You would struggle and probably even wreck the truck doing p&d as a rook. I'm used to it from running this dedicated. I know old dominion has a new driver program from certain out of pocket accredited schools. But the training I believe is a year long lol. Which is necessary. You'll see when you get out there. It's no joke and you will find yourself alone in tight bad places you need to get out of.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    KriegHund Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you still want OTR after Swift, look at Abilene Motor Express right there in Richmond.
    They hire new CDL grads.

GoldenLad and Pure.Genius Thank this.
  9. MovingMetal

Mar 12, 2015
    I've heard abilene is a great company if you like OTR. I like my weekends off and hometime. Soon I'll be home every night lol. Making double the money in a day cab doing labor like I'm doing now. Until I run doubles and still home every night. Pick your poison. I did otr. It was really cool seeing the US in all the states. Once I did it I realized the cool factor was gone quick in a flash and I had to move on. It was sorta a vacation at first. I ran 2500 miles a week and made joke of money. Best advice I can give about trucking is go for what suits you best. Youll figure out quick if otr is for you or not when you get solo. If you want to be home go ltl or food service in a day cab. But it's labor. So if you're lazy and you want to be fat stay otr. Probably best you just run otr with swift and decide what you want to do. If you want to pass that Richmond school you need to be serious. I saw a lot of guys fail over there. They didn't take it serious. Good luck man!

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, LTL, food service or even tankers for home every day. I tried that and it wasn't for me, but that's just me. OTR for the long term isn't for everyone, but it's OK for some of us. I made $65K doing OTR; some do less, some do more.

11. KriegHund

KriegHund Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2015
    On a hill south of heaven
    Good advice, thank you. I have always been the guy who will take on the toughest challenges and never have shied away from work. Many years ago, I drove box truck as an o/o carrying C.F. freight local until the day C.F. closed. Took the truck and delivered appliances. Hated appliance delivery did it a year and left. Also was offered more to manage a retail store. I am mid 40's , retired 4 years ago, in that time we lost everything in a house fire and just can't get back where I was. Retirement just isn't what I had hoped for, it's boring.
    I am not worried about the school being hard or not passing as I wouldn't be satisfied just scraping through.
    Why do you say I will probably wreck doing p&d?
    Thanks again

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.