Thinking about blind side camera.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by BACON XXL, Jul 8, 2016.

1. BACON XXL

BACON XXL Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Highland Co. Ohio
    I ran a day cab for 16 years. There really no "blind" side when you think about it. That said I am really struggling with blind side backing. Now running a sleeper. Felt like a goon getting out of my truck 3 times backing into a customers place today. (Sorry to the Fed ex truck I held up).

I pull tankers. Pretty much all
    I ever plan to do. I was thinking of getting a back up camera an mounting it to a pair of vise grips or c clamp. Run wires out of back of pigtail (markr lights) and mount to the fender.

Question is , do you think the video will show to the rear of trailer?

Other thoughts or suggestions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    This one's pretty expensive. I haven't really looked around but there have to wireless options out there that you can view on your smart phone.

If there's nothing out there specifically for trucks start searching RV back up cameras.

The Journey is designed for use on any vehicle, trailer, RV, barn, boat or other application where clear visualization can help prevent collisions or provide safety monitoring.
    The camera boasts a true field of view, accurate depth of field, and only the slightest fish-eyed effect. The camera and monitor function wirelessly up to 1/3 of a mile! All items fit neatly in a rugged custom carrying case. Pair up to 4 cameras to 1 monitor for full range view. The Journey is totally rugged and water resistant providing tons of versatility. The charged batteries get 4-8 hours of wireless battery life. If this isn’t enough, we also offer a hard wiring kit that can be easily installed for a constant power stream. This system is truly portable and versatile - one system can cover all your camera monitoring needs throughout a variety of applications with the ease of moving the system from one location to another as needed.

http://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...-system-wide-angle/87644#sthash.AYnXYzij.dpuf

BACON XXL Thanks this.
  4. Clyde07

Clyde07 Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2013
    When I have to blind-side between 2 objects (other trucks, most of the time), I don't worry about how many times I have to goal. I suppose a camera could help, but I don't know if I would completely trust it. I guess I'm just set in my ways, I only believe 20% of what I hear and 80% of what I see.

BACON XXL Thanks this.
  5. BACON XXL

Nov 6, 2015
    Highland Co. Ohio
    I get that. And that is a good way to be for sure. I just feel this may really help.

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    A fisheye lens like you'll find with backup camera systems will be very disorienting in angled backing situations.

BACON XXL Thanks this.
  7. jmroadhog

jmroadhog Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Grand Forks BC
    Have a look at DieselBoss's web site he has truck specific camera systems.

BACON XXL Thanks this.
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I'm sure the RV backup cameras are the same as any car or pickup. Mounted into the license plate holder. Won't work when you need to see the corner and sides.

BACON XXL Thanks this.
  9. BACON XXL

Nov 6, 2015
    Highland Co. Ohio
    I think I might try a cheaper 110-120 degree cam on front fender. Or I saw a cam used for hooking up boat trailers that may work. You would only use it when you need it and otherwise it stays in sidebox. A bit pricy @ $175.

10. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    Amazon sells a wireless unit. I have one in my garage....it rotates and works at night too. If I was driving a sleeper, I would put one on the trailer, with a magnet mount! When I was backing. Magnet will only work on the steel dot bumper, but that is where you need it.

BACON XXL Thanks this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I've got one mounted at the back of my service truck. Its an F550 and visability is totally #### in those. The screen is only about 2" x 3" but I can see a fair ways back. A screen twice that size would be nicer. I've installed a couple wireless ones on some small construction gear. If you could find one with a decent range you could put a magnet on the camera and put it pretty much anywhere.

BACON XXL Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.