Thinking about buying to run pool water

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by icemangoon23, May 22, 2016.

1. icemangoon23

icemangoon23 Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Bridgeport,Ct
    I am currently delivering asphalt and I do like it. It pays decent but I like to deliver pool water. Being that its only seasonal I've heard that i can make some decent money if i get my own truck. I was thinking to run a truck for the season and just deliver fuel oil to residentials in the winter. Do you think it's a good idea to buy a truck for just seasonal work? Also i will hook up to the pool water company trailer

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Better get a real good line on the water work. That work is pretty well locked down locally by a couple decent sized outfits.
    I talked to a guy out of Shelton last summer, rates he was proud on weren't impressive to me.

wore out and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  4. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Better figure out some work to do all winter with it. Trucks cost money n don't get free when you let them sit.

5. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I use to run pool water in the spring and summer 20 years ago with an old gas trailer. We use to get the water from a local filtration plant and it payed pretty well. It was a fun gig and you never knew what kind of interesting stuff you would roll up on at some of these houses in the middle of the day :). I thought about it again now but way to many people have gotten into it since then plus my tractor wouldn't really be practical for it. Really need a heavy spec day cab for something like that.

6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Pool water around here is like $200 in town and if you go out in the middle of nowhere it's like $300.
    30-40 miles one way is about the outer range. Before your competing with someone else's territory (back down to $200 if you get my point)......

Around here it's only really a 6 week season.. Memorial Day to the 4th of July ...

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  7. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    You need to cut out the middle man and create need. Steal someone's pool water and then you can sell it to the next person as pre treated. And you created a new customer. You need to think out of the box, err pool in this case.

Of course I'm kidding.

SoDel Thanks this.
  8. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    I hauled water 20 years ago with 2 3000 gallon straight trucks and a 6000 gallon tanker. My boss had his own pumping station at the yard so you could del one load than come back and take the other truck and deliver another with the other truck. I would rarely pay to get water. We also had steady customers within 20 min who had poor water so they had to buy water to fill cisterns year round. Even with all that eventually he sold out the water part of his business because there wasn't enough money in it.

9. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Do they not have garden hoses in CT/NY/NJ???

10. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    If you have a well not so much...... And on new pool you want the water fast to hold the liner in place......:)

11. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Alot of customers I went to didn't have wells up to the task of filling a pool. Others were new pool installations that the contractors wanted filled on the spot.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.