Thinking of leaving Coke Bulk for Linehaul, what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by AnthonyM757, Jul 24, 2016.

1. AnthonyM757

AnthonyM757 Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2015
    I'm just not happy with the Coke plant I work out of. We work 6 days a week and the equipment is pretty bad.. (except for the lucky 2 drivers that have automatic kenworths)

We're shorthanded, and I'm frankly over delivering to tiny ### stockrooms with no place to put my pallets...

My goal from the start was to try to get on with OD or ABF, but they weren't hiring in my area...

To cut this down, I have 3 months driving experience.. Will any company take me on for Linehaul?? And how many hours do they typically work a week?? And do they work weekends??

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Where do you live?

4. AnthonyM757

AnthonyM757 Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2015
    Hampton Roads Virginia

5. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Try Wilson Trucking. They have a terminal in Chesapeake.

AnthonyM757 Thanks this.
  6. TahoeTrucker

TahoeTrucker Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    If you have 6 months you can do city work for most of them. Linehaul is usually going to require at least a year. Some companies will put you in their training program. ABF has one Conway is another and most have a dock to driver program. I know Old Dominion would train you, maybe watch them like a hawk and jump on it like a dog on a bone when the opportunity arises. Central might take you as well. Maybe look at YRC.

Most ltl companies put the less experienced drivers on p&d and not linehaul from what I've seen.

Mike2633 and TequilaSunrise Thank this.
  7. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    MOST not all LTL companies work weekends with linehaul. If you don't want to work weekends then P&D is your choice. But delivery is a PITA even in the LTL buisness.

YRC, Holland or New Penn will take you I'm almost 100% sure. The others you gotta go thru their programs to get on and if they are hiring. I'd just drop apps at all LTL companies til one sticks. Don't look at the hiring criteria just apply. They could be so short handed or someone might of just quit. You never know til you apply.

MACK E-6, Big Don and TahoeTrucker Thank this.
  8. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    The other thing to really think about is will you like or even be able to work nights only and try to sleep during the daytime?

The job may seem gravy (and the job in and of itself usually is) but the whole package is you have to sleep during the day and in my opinion it's not good.

Unfortunately linehaul isn't for me.

9. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    So true. It's a whole different lifestyle to work nights exclusively. It helps if you're naturally a night-owl type of person, but it also requires discipline to make sure you get enough sleep. Not everybody can do it.

@Exrayman4000 is from that area. He may have some ideas. I know Holland hired a guy for P&D in my area with just a few months of experience, but I don't know if they would hire a newer driver for linehaul or not.

TahoeTrucker and Mike2633 Thank this.
  10. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Me either, at least not at night.

Night time linehaul is a single man's game.

11. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Eww eww eww single man's game that's me I can sign up then! Heck I don't know what the difference is sometime, during the school year I'm up at 1:45am to start work practically like working half the night and half the day.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.