This may be redundant but I would like to know

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Ryan S2016, Oct 22, 2016.

1. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    As long as you can drive the combination where you currently run I would get the biggest truck you can then schedule the road test at your convenience so you will be covered when you travel outside your comfort zone. Of course double check the states you currently work in, you should be able to look at their dmv website and see what they require for license classes.

I also highly suggest biting the bullet and paying a local cdl school to use their regular tractor trailer combo so you have air brakes and a full class A, as many states will look at a pickup combo as a truck trailer and you will have a restricted class A. Besides, if you buy a truck that does not need a class A in your home state you will have to rent or borrow a truck that does qualify when you take the road test so you might as well go for the full A all at once. Yes, you will lose revenue for the time it takes to practice and test, but in the long run it is an investment in your business and yourself, especially since you have transporter plates, you can hook up with large truck dealers or repo companies and drive the bigger units for them, and when time comes to upgrade rigs again you will be ready. Look how far you have come already in a short time from your 1/2 ton with a single car trailer, it won't be long before you move up again.

Ke6gwf and Ryan S2016 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    This has been an issue I have been struggling with since I decided to make my move to a bigger truck. I believe I am ready for the CDL test I have been practicing constantly my concern is spending the $300 for the road test at the local school to actually take the test. It has been years since I have been behind the wheel of a semi and I am pretty sure everyone gets a little tense when you know your being evaluated and if I fail for any reason thats $300 down the drain and I will have to cough up another $300 to do it again. So this is a very tough situation I am in

4. brian991219

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Do a simple cost benefit analysis, meaning even if it takes all three attempts to pass ($900) you will make much more than that $900 in a week or two of hauling more vehicles or heavier freight. It is a lot of money upfront, but it will pay back hundreds of times over the lifetime of your business. One operating out of class fine plus the impound, tow, and getting a replacement driver to get your rig and finish the run will cost you that much if not more. That could happen if you honestly but accidentally overloaded your rig or entered a state with an incorrect understanding of their driver license class system. My partner had the exact thing happen to him when he started on his own about 15 years ago. He was legal to drive his dually in New Jersey doing what he did with trailer delivery but he came up to New York and was put out of service for operating out of class. He had to have a friend come drive the combo out of the state and then go get his class A. He took it in his pickup and a few years later when we started working together and got our first tractor trailer car hauler I had to take him to the dmv to get his full class A with air brakes. That all cost much more than the $300 to $900 you are looking at here.

Just some free advice from some old guy that has been there done that. Take it for what it is worth and good luck either way, you are working hard to try to succeed and that is worth a lot of credit.

Ryan S2016 and Ke6gwf Thank this.
  5. o/otony

o/otony Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2012
    you can test with a 1ton and a gooseneck just will have a cdl with air brakes restriction.

6. Ke6gwf

Ke6gwf Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    What Brian said!

If you take the test in the pickup, I can almost guarantee you that you will be back to DMV again paying more fees and more time off and taking the test again later in a semi with air brakes lol

If you simply can't afford it now, then do what you can, but if you can swing it, invest in preparing yourself to serve your customers as you grow your business.
    And so what if it takes you 2 tries to pass because you are rusty? It is part of learning and investing! ;)
    (obviously we care about conserving money, so I hope you can get it the first time lol)
    Pre-trip Pre-trip Pre-trip! And make sure you study and practice the PreTrip.

(search for learning the PreTrip on here, we have been discussing it elsewhere!)

That and the air brake test are what get more people...

brian991219 Thanks this.
  7. Ke6gwf

Ke6gwf Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/types-of-drivers-licenses/

I didn't spend much time searching to see if I could find a better site, but AAA seems like it should be a pretty reliable source, and it looks like you can click on the state name for more info.
    If unclear, look up the state DMV for details.
    This will at least give you the overview.

Ryan S2016 and brian991219 Thank this.
  8. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Actually quite helpful it seems the majority of states I do travel in have the same rules and regs.

9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I noticed something conspicuously absent from this dialogue that I think is worthy of mention, and that is the need for a DOT number.

I've been looking at p/u trucks lately, and was pondering a Ram 3500 with a standard rear axle. Problem is, those come with an 11,500 lb rating which puts it in need of a DOT number right off the lot, and that of course means the requisite mountain of red tape.

Now, if this conversation was carried out with the implied understanding that all participants already had DOT numbers, than I'll shut up now. :)

10. brian991219

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Good catch. In this instance Ryan already has his DOT and MC numbers but it is valid as a reminder for anyone new looking at this thread.

In my area many construction guys are getting banged for no DOT numbers with these pickup trucks. I am only 8 miles from both the NY and NJ border so there is a lot of cross border construcrion work. Sad part is anyone can buy and drive the same truck to pull their boat to the lake on the weekends but use it to take tools to the jobsite and now you are a motor carrier.

Ryan S2016 Thanks this.
  11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, in the couple hours I've just spent reading about this I've noticed that some states have their own requirements in addition to those of the Feds.

Here in MD once you cross the 10k threshold you need a number. That pretty much outlaws ALL pulling of trailers with a 3/4 ton p/u.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.